View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
The yoke is on the same plain as the crank shaft balancer. The engine if angled up the trans yoke is angled up. All of this is being over complicated.

Get the engine or tail shaft angle
Driveshaft angle
Rear pinion angle

And then you will have all the front and rear operating angles that you need.
This is why communicating properly is important and why I wanted to make sure we all understood each other. We're saying the same thing but we're looking at it differently.

To clarify, when I say the pinion is pointed 2.5 degrees up, I mean the nose is pointed up. The gear is pointed down. Using the link/calculator Greg posted, they consider the pinion to be sloped down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Trey ---

One of the things that gets messed up is trying to make it too complicated....

And remember that you want the PINION angle DOWN -- because as the power is put to the rear end - it tries to rotate the pinion UPWARDS.... The type of suspension you have makes a difference in how much this is allowed to rotate from a "negative" to the positive. A race suspension which allows hardly any movement -- should be set about 1 to 1.5* Down (at the pinion).... and a rubber suspension would be 3.5 to 4* down - because it's going to rotate up A LOT.... Urethane bushings would be "harder" and can be set at 2 to 2.5* Down etc.

So you need to know the suspension set up and adjust accordingly.

The motor is going to be 3 ish * down at the tranny ----- and the diff should be set according to the appropriate down angle (allowing for it to climb back to about zero in hard launch mode) according to how much movement it should have (a little - moderate - or a lot) -- and the working angle of the driveline will mathematically work out to about 1 ish * (the angles should cancel each other out, but they should never be 0 ----- is should always have 1 to as much as 2 degrees "difference".

So let's say the engine is down 3* -- and the driveline is down from the motor to the rear end 4* -- and the pinion is down 2*

Use this calculator to help when you're measuring

http://spicerparts.com/calculators/d...gle-calculator
Thanks for the link Greg. You're correct about over complicating it. What you've just posted is what I've always thought and worked towards. Until I started having problems that is. Then, I decided to learn more and ended up where I am now.

Luckily, I have 6* of angle shims under the rear so tilting the pinion nose down won't be hard. I'm going to remove the snubber/bumper on top of the transmission too so I can lift it a little more. We'll see where I can get the angles to go to from there.

Thank you all.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims