Thread: Bead rolling?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Just wondering if you guys have had better luck with certain types of dies vs metal warpage?

I cut out an 18 gauge steel one piece trunk floor for my Cadillac, put quite a few patterns into it with an 1/8 step die and warped the hell out of it.

I was cranking it down rather tight, maybe that is my problem?

Or is everyone pre-stretching with an english wheel? (which I don't have).

I may have just put too many beads into this thing but trying to avoid the next one being a taco as well.

I'm sorry -- I got a good chuckle out of your misery.... and it's not because of you personally doing something... but how many times I read or see people thinking that what they see on the internet (like the builds on here) -- is just --- Get a machine and start makin' stuff! Welding -- fab -- bending -- English wheel -- whatever.....

I don't have, nor have I ever used, a bead roller - but I KNOW it's not nearly as simple as the people that can do it, make it look. I remember the tailgate for the Craftsman truck that was made at The RS... and thinking WOW!! That dude has some serious skills 'cause I can't even figure out how he made that thing!!