View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 05:43 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carkrazy1987 View Post
unfortunately rear end vibrations can be a number of issues. u-joint angles, wheel tire combo, brakes, axle itself.

you said you had the rims checked, was that with tires installed (good balance)?
rotate the wheels front to back if possible?
double check all drive line angles.
if you do believe it is brake related, can you safely put rear on jack stands (weight of vehicle on axle) and accelerate to 55-60mph, see if vibration there. then slowly start removing parts and retesting. remove wheels, install lugnuts, torque to specs and check for vibration. remove rotors (ziptie block of wood in caliper not to blow out pistons), and see if vibration still there.
if still there, vibration maybe within axle, or drive shaft.

also vibration is worse between 55-60mph, does it dissipate or get worse with more mph? if the vibration intensity is matched at 110-120mph you would be looking at u-joint area for binding
I appreciate the response. I've checked all of those components multiple times. That's what is so frustrating, nothing changes with any of my adjustments. It's not on or off throttle dependent either only speed.

I've put the car on jack stands before but the vibrations were minimal compared to on the road. I put the car on a dyno to verify it was the rear area of the car for that reason.

Thank you

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims