View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 02:49 PM

As an old Army Viet Nam era chopper pilot and instructor as well as a civilian fixed wing driver that has survived several extensive crashes I can attest to the critical need to practice, practice, practice and practice some more. "Muscle Memory" has saved my life on more than one occasion. There were times I got out and don't remember doing anything since I was dazed. The Military Method Of Instruction (MMOI) always treated each approach to landing as an emergency situation (maintain situational awareness). And when you practice any maneuver, practice it in TOTAL blindness with all your driving gear on. Don't simulate anything. You can practice every time you start or turn of your engine by consciously placing your hand on the appropriate switch, knob or handle before looking for it. Same for exiting the vehicle. Don't skimp on safety equipment both because of price or "I don't need it because the rules say I don't have to have it". One last bit of advice that I use to brief my flight before every mission - "Don't do anything stupid".

milt