View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 AM

From my late 20's I partied hard into my 30's, and at 37 I quit my addictions all on my own, cold turkey and been 100% sober ever since (I'm now 51 but still smoke cigs). I starting gaining weight and In 2001, I weighed 217# I'm 5'7". I decided to change my "eating habits". I did research on the net and started working out with weights, Mtn & street biking, walking and swimming. I lifted weights 3-4 days a week alt upper and lower work outs and I rode 10-15 miles street or dirt. I would also walk every night carrying those little 3lbs weights. All this time I still smoked cigs . I'm also a beach bum, so I loved to walk in the sand & swim in the ocean, which really works you good.

I also parked my car and walked or biked everywhere I could and when I did drive... I would park as far as I could from somewhere. so it forced me to get in a little exercise no matter what. I also would ride or walk in areas that made it fun so it made me want to do it and didn't feel like work..

My "eating healthy" ( I don't believe in the word "DIET") IMOHO 90% of "diets" fail.. So I replaced that word with "Eating healthy" ..because losing weight and being fit and staying that way is as much a mental thing as it is physical. I also would only get on a scale once or only twice a month, so I would see bigger weight loss which would motivate me more. I also learned that getting fit and seeing more muscles is an addiction and a good one at that !! My eating consisted of course.. watching calories and carbs. Believe it or not I started with slim fast for breakfast then a 30 min walk , and lunch would be a slim fast, fruit and a granola bar.

Dinners were chicken and vegetables or a baked pork chop. and never ate after 7pm. I ate a lot of salads too with a little low cal dressing. I would also still eat what I craved once in a while, but in very light moderation, this way I could control my cravings.. I lost 50-60# in around 9-10 months and got to my goal of around 165#. I kept it off for 4 years and I felt better then I ever did. Todd's right..when you feel good about yourself life is a breeze!

The negative side to this Is.. at the end of 07 I started gaining the weight back and fell into my old eating habits (I'm at 230 # now).. I do have some bad physical issues now but I am going to follow this thread and hope it gets me back on track,,

THANKS for posting this thread Todd !! Can it be made a STICKY?

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.

Last edited by intocarss; 07-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.