Thread: Investing 102
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Watching CNBC this morning and all the discussion about “Streaming”.... Apple - Netflix - Disney - Hulu..... everyone wants you to sign up for their streaming service and cut the cable

Why mention this? Because I got to thinking that AT&T bought Direct TV (cable) for growth — and assumed massive debt for the purchase. My millennial children don’t have or want cable - they have streaming stuff.....

Just remembering “fundamental change” in your holdings — and is this one??? The death of a 1000 cuts — or was it a brilliant move? IDK — just saying to pay attention.
I've been reading up on this a little too, more specifically who will come out on top in the wireless world... AT&T or Verizon. While AT&T's primary investment has been buying up other Telecom companies, Verizon's main investment has been their network in hopes of being better prepared for the coming 5G signal, which will better support the demand of everyone streaming everything.

Even though I've been a fan/customer of Verizon for many years, they both tell a compelling story in their theories of best growth practices. While AT&T currently has to work through a mountain of debt from all of their acquisitions, if and when they bring that to a zero balance, they could become the top contender if played right. But on the other hand, I think Verizon is poised to run away with the market by shoring up their foundation first. Just my .02 cents.