View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcoray View Post
Do you think that you can limit some gun related things that would lessen the damage?

For example the day it happened you mentioned the China attack. The argument there is that it'll happen anyways so don't touch guns.

The difference is in the sheer damage you can do with completely legal gun hardware compared to knives. A bomb also rarely manages to kill so many people as efficiently as an assault rifle can.

I'm not saying you ban guns, but I see only a few valid reasons to have one, and neither requires high capacity clips or a high fire rate for example.

Go back and read post number 12

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. It seems to make little difference what's used - if the intent of the person is to do such atrocities they'll figure out a way to carry out their intent. That's why I said -- what should we do? Outlaw mental illness? That's what really caused this. The semi auto gun made it relatively easy to carry out... but we don't know that he wouldn't have chosen to drive his car on to the play field at recess and mow down everyone he could have.

There's just something really really wrong with these people... and I just don't see how anyone thinks we can legislate or regulate them and what they may do.

We have 300 million people or more in this country -- some of whom are whack jobs. Laws only stop law abiding citizens. They never stop someone from breaking the law.

Go here

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comp...?ind=118&cat=2

and compare state by state the AUTO death rate per 100,000 and you'll see that it's TWICE and more in almost every single state in the union than the murder rate of the US. I don't see any discourse on banning cars and trucks.... nobody is outraged... yet deadly accidents happen day after day regardless of the hundreds of laws around driving - and all the safety equipment - and all the police around.

If guns are to blame for the death rate -- then with the highest guns per capita in the world - we should then have the highest murder rate/death rate by gun in the world... and we don't. We're not even close. So the numbers / justification just don't add up.

I agree with Morgan Freeman.... it's the news and the sensationalized reporting which people are drawn to like moths to a flame. But maybe even then you can't explain these tragic events. I mean seriously - who in their right mind kills their mother?

Mind you -- I've now cried TWICE over this immensely disturbing event. I'm a father of two - I can't even imagine the sorrow people are feeling. But I don't connect the weapon of choice to the causation, or even the result.