View Single Post
Old 10-18-2015, 11:33 AM

So it turns out this was part of the turbo trade since he won't need it any longer. Man that high rise and 105mm TB look mean on there. Jim also mocked up the inner fenders to get them cut down at the bottom to clear the A frames and suspension.

We're also looking at room for the turbo piping and other clearances on both sides of the engine. Thinking about a liquid to air intercooler as well as some other goodies under here. Mostly AC and Heater lines and dust protection from the environment. I'd like to keep it clean under the hood as best as possible.

We're looking at room for the crank case breather and air oil separation as well in this setup. This is something I feel like so many people overlook so here's some math to help you think about it and to keep in mind when doing your breathers. This is a 6.0L (366 CID) motor, with peak 7 PSI of boost we will effectively have a 9.0L (549 CID) motor making 100% aspiration. Now think about the rings. They seal good but not that good. If you do a leak down test you can see 10-20% blow by on the rings and that's still acceptable for a motor to be able to run down the road. Top of the line, super fresh, racing motors might be able to hold all but 5% in the cylinder (Start a debate about this somewhere else if you want but not here). So for the sake of argument this used truck motor will leak 10% of its air into the crank case. Let me show you how much air that is.

7000 RPM's Red Line
6.0L Displacement @ 7 psi boost is about 9.0L
10% blow by

(7000 RPM's / 2) * 9.0 Liters = (31500) Liters of Air per Minute.
28.3162 Liters = 1 Cubic Foot
31500 LPM / 28.3162 CF = 1112.414 CFM Cubic Feet a Minute
1112.414 CFM * .1 (10% blow by) = 111.2414 CFM Blowing into the crank case
111.2414 CFM / 60 Seconds = 18.5402 CFS

18 cubic feet of air a second blowing past the rings and into the crank case. That's a 3'x3'x2' box of air, EVERY SECOND!

All of that has to go thorough those two little 3/8's AN-6 hoses on top of the valve covers that are pressed on their barbs by hand I might add. Back pressure galore slowing down your pistons! So we're adding AN-8 weld on bungs to the valve covers and one, possibly two, lines to the valley cover to get the air out of the crank case so the pistons will have as little resistance as possible going down. If this were an emission car I would vent the oil catch can to the front of the turbo so it could suck down the fumes but that's a long stinking way for this project so we're just going with the breather on the catch can for this one.

Amazon Find!

You just have to drain it when you change your oil.

On the body work front we keep finding little things like these two cracks in the metal. But Jim's chipping away at it and working on mounts for the Infinity box wiring as well as the creature comforters.

And the money shot!

Later
-Russell

http://www.nerdrods.com