View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 AM

Finally had a break in the work schedule to get something done on the car. Ran around a little bit on friday and picked up some parts, you would be amazed the difference in parts places between "Big City" Portland and Eugene. Nothing here is open on the weekends for parts like nuts and bolts, fittings or anything like that. There is one good parts place in town M-F and they are hot rod stuff only. I am realizing how huge having Baxters within 10 minutes of my old place was in completing these projects in such a quick manner. 90% of the parts I have to mail order and wait.

So rounded up some parts, picked up the painted upper radiator panel from Metalworks and got to work early afternoon on Friday.

Managed to get the fans mounted up to the radiator, rubber isolators installed and the radiator trimmed to fit. Its nice and snug in there. Also installed the weather pack connector and got the upper and lower radiator hoses figured out. They were pretty easy but I did end up doing a 30 degree swivel style for the water pump to get things lined up better.

Figured out the intercooler setup and built a nice little bracket to hold the reservoir behind the strut, out of harms way and up high.

With that mounted up I got to work on more plumbing. I had to figure out how to mount the heat exchanger, keep the factory hood latch and the upper radiator panel support piece, it was a tight fit.

This is the factory Volvo piece, before it got chopped up.

Starting to get the hang with the TIG torch...

So I built a tray for the bottom of the heat exchanger to sit in, its got rubber on the bottom, sides and back so its not metal on metal anywhere, this holds it in position and should keep the bottom of it well protected.

I had to section out the front support and add a couple of tabs to it to attach so it can all be removed and installed from the car, this was more challenging that it sounds as the angles up front are a bitch to work around. Hood latch has plenty of room to function but its a bitch to get in and out as you can tell by the fins on the heat exchanger.......I was not very happy a few times on Saturday messing with this.

I got the intercooler pump mounted up to the inside of the framerail where it will have good feed from the tank and out to the heat exchanger and got to work figuring out the hoses and such for the system. I ditched all screw style hose clamps and opted for the factory style hose clamps. its a much cleaner installation.

Still working on a clamp/heat shield setup that I like for the heater/intercooler hoses.

Spent waaaay too much time on this over the weekend and its functional but I dont like it at all. I need to come up with a better solution but that isnt going to stop the build.

I got the MAF bung welded in, re ran that wiring onto the engine and shortened it up, got the intercooler pump wiring all terminated and buttoned up. The only thing remaining on the aftermarket side is the fans, I need to get some loom and get that wiring out to them and terminate for the weather pack connector. I also built a small support stand for the air filter to keep it from moving all over the place.

Then tore it all apart and loaded all the parts up for Powder Coat this week.

Battery terminals should be here this week sometime, powdercoat should be done by the end of the week. Coilovers should be here this week so I will be able to install and measure for wheel clearances.

I am going to call in some help for next weekend and see if we can make a big dent.

Sean