View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobK View Post
Looking good. I'm assuming you know that the roof panel got whacked about 2" above where it meets the quarters, right? That line of drilled out spot welds on the inner structure below the roof cut is where the quarter attachs, and the roof slips down over it. You may end up putting a new roof skin on if you don't want to have to fab up a 2" wide patch to tie the roof and quarter together- that area has a lot of curve/shape to it and isn't something I'd want to try to make look right with a patch.
BobK yes i realize the roofline is cut too high. I still have the two original pieces though. I was going to try and put a thin strip of 18 gauge metal behind the roofline and plug weld it into place using half the strip. then put the original piece up there and plug weld that to the other half of the strip, leaving ~1/32" gap between the two pieces. Then i will spot weld the two roof pieces together. My hope here is that i wont warp the roof material when it cools after welding and will want to shrink in. I am also hoping to avoid ghost lines in the paint by spot welding the two together since that part will be at eye level. If that doesnt work, then i can look into roof replacement. The pics dont show it, but it is rotted out along the rear window channel so i need to address that as well. Clear as mud?!

canrc, thanks for the offer i may take you up on that in the new year when all the holiday rush across the border dies down. I checked out your build, Rybar posted it and that is a sweet camaro! Rybar's is pretty nice too! My original colors were garnet red with black stripes which is what i was thinking of going back with on my car. But i dont know if the car gods will allow two pro-touring cars within 100 miles of each other to have the same paint scheme!!

1969 Camaro Z/28: W.I.P. Bolt-on Art Morrison MaxG Chassis, LS2 Stroker, 6spd. manual, amongst many other goodies!