View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 07:15 PM

I smartened up a bit and put the car back on the blocks so I don't break my back.

Went ahead and started to remove this section of firewall to insert my DSE smooth panel. I cleaned out the seam sealer and spot welds to start then cut out a preliminary area to test fit the panel. While I was test fitting the area I found that the firewall and cowl were pushed back roughly 2" to fit the old distributor so I had to find a tool to fix this. I ended up borrowing my friends slide hammer that screws into the sheet metal rather than spot welds to he sheet metal. This worked good for pulling out the majority of the large dented section but the amount of holes needed was going to destroy the cowl so I left it as is once I got the firewall and cowl pretty much in line with the rest of the cowl. I'll acquire a spot welder in the near future and finish up the smaller dents. All holes were filled on the firewall lap and cowl and ground down flush prior to welding the panel in place. I'll need to go back later and fill the throttle petal hole and a couple other areas down low on the firewall. Also addressed the rust around the whiper motor hole.

Once I got it fitted I went ahead and welded the panel in place then went back and ground down the welds a bit.

The burn marks on the panel you see is my sweet nut I welded on the backside to bolt up the Vintage Air motor.

Last edited by jasonz28camaro; 01-12-2019 at 07:26 PM.