View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Default rear suspension

So going through all the options for a rear suspension in the car there are 3 kinds to look into. 1 DSE parallel 4 link with a pan hard bar 2. torque arm from speed tech. 3. triangulated 4 link ride tech. looking in to each on of these solutions each had their ups and downs. the DSE rear is prob the best sorted but it includes alot of fab work with installing the new link pockets and the pan hard support bar. with this being a bolt on brawler this was way too much fab work for my garage. the speed tech toque are is a very nice set up. it is well sorted and is great for racing and handling. but you miss alot of anti squat characteristics with that system. there is also a bit of fab work to install the cross bar for the upper shock mounts.

this left me with the ride tech kit. this kit has been used on alot of pro touring builds, from the 24 hr camaro to other elite builds. the more i researched the system the better a triangulated the more i liked about it. its a great system for short travel systems. there can be bind issues. but ride tech has a new r link end that has a delrin bushing built in. this gives the system some compliance over a stock heim joint. this gives it a bit more flex and give in binding scenarios. the other thing that i liked about the rear was it was a bolt in application. you can bolt it in the car and be done. no welding or fab work needed. i bought the link only system because i wanted the shocks to match the front sub. i have ordered JRI single adjustable shocks for the rear to match the front once i get it.

after getting the new suspension in i found a couple of things i didnt like about it but had quick and simple fixes for them. the cage was not a direct bolt in. there was some messaging of the body to make it fit correctly. and once i had that done there still were some issues with pulling the end tabs to the fram rail flush. the body was in a way that it was putting way to much stress on the 3/8 16 self tapping bolts. the medal on the under side of the rails was just to thin for that much torque. so my solution was quick and cheap. 60 bucks for a xl astro tool riv nut tool and 20 for some nice stainless 3/8 16 riv nuts. after drilling the holes for the standard bolt as the directions said, i then opened the holes up to a 1/2 in hole and installed the riv nuts. i only did this on the downward facing bolts. this gave the frame extra metal to grab on to and a better torque capability. then running up the bolts into the new rive nuts i was able to get the cage to fully seat to the frame and once it was i used the standard ride tech method for the horizontal bolts. now that the cage is fully seated the cross bolts help hold it up is there is any pull on system. pictures below.
Attached Images

Last edited by rideordie28; 01-14-2019 at 01:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rideordie28 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (03-30-2019)