Thread: Investing 102
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 01:07 PM

I'm a cord cutter...been 2 years now without cable TV. So I'm experienced with that side of this discussion.

I also own AT&T and am a bit upside down in it since the DTV purchase. So also familiar with that side...

What I know now is that streaming ain't all it's cracked up to be. There is nothing free about any kind of good content and what you can stream is getting so filled up with ads that you can't skip that it's frustrating to watch. Hulu, youTubeTV and such are now all raising their subscription fees and the cord cutters are raising heck about it. Not only that but fast internet ISPs are raising their rates largely as well. My 100 mbps Cox connection just jumped from $69\month to $99\month.

I'm still not sure where it's going, but I know having a cable\Sat DVR with the ability to easily record and skip commercials on playback is still the best way to watch ANY TV programming. It's just not worth $200\month to this user. For now the Cable\Sat companies seem to be happy jacking up the rates to the subscribers they have left to keep their profit margins in line, the more subs they loose, the higher they jack rates. At some point one would think they will dial that back to get the Subs back that get tired of the unskippable ads and expensive internet the streamers are stuck with.

I suspect the build out of the 5G network nationwide will dictate the next move on both sides...and this part I'm less knowledgeable about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
glassman (05-08-2019), WILWAXU (04-17-2019)