View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworks
I think the whole owner built concept is commendable, but at some point no one can do it all. I would give a check writer hot rodder more props than a guy who builds a piece of junk in his garage and paints it with brush because he can do all by hmself.

One of my favorite cars of all time is a red 64 falcon sprint convertible with a side oiler 427 that the owner built the whole thing except headers, exhaust and rollbar. He built his own mustang II style front end and rear suspension before everyone made kits. He painted it and did the stiching also. He did so well that Super rod gave him a top 100 like 7 years ago. It took him 12 years to build the car, but it is bad ass.

At some point if you build a nice enough car in your garage, people are going to ask you to build something for them in a shop not your garage. That is how I got started. I out grew the garage and driveway and rented a small shop and 7 years later I have a shop bigger than I ever imagined. I could never fit all the tools I have in my little 2 car garage.
I agree Ironworker. My plan has always been to do the whole job myself. been a painter for 20 years so that's no problem. The body work I have learned over the years building my own cars at the shop with bodymen supervising. Now I'm into the metal work and its coming along just slowly. I plan to try the interior electric and motor my self as well. But I got to tell you With out the help of most of you guys I would have not tackled the things I have done to this car. We got some real great shops on here that I can call anytime to ask a question. It's funny when I was in the shop we were always told the customer goes to the manager not the men in the shop. This go around I am having my tub work and rear taken care of by Jason at Gforce. and Frank ( prodogy) Has really held my hand the hole way. I'm trying to get this wone done so I can enjoy it. The next one I'm hoping to have the guts to do the whole thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtyme1 For This Useful Post:
robu (08-07-2019)