View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I've been thinking about the cooling systems on the car, and while the Linegnfelter ZL1 has done some pretty amazing things on a stock cooling system and charge cooler heat exchanger, I think our application will benefit from some increased capacity and additional coolers.

Their Z has run fast in the quarter, but that gives you time to cool the car between runs. If you saw heard any of the stories about the 200+ mph runs, you know that the limiting factor was the amount of heat the supercharger created during long runs.

We have seen it time and again in dyno tuning sessions with these types of systems, they really can pack in the heat.

Now I realize we're probably not going to be making 200 mph passes on the car, but we'd like to do everything we can to minimize heat soak when the car is on a road course.

I'm also considering oil temperature and steering fluid temps. Having recently spoken to a variety of "smarties", it's obvious we need to prevent these temps from rising and causing harm on track days. I think we can add an oil temp sensor to the Dakota dash.

I've long preferred an integrated cooling system - like OE auto trans coolers integrated in the radiator. I've heard that Stielow and Tucker are going to the approach of oil and steering coolers integrated in the radiator rather than stand-alone coolers. The benefits are not only for packaging and airflow and fan assist, but also the the engine coolant can help warm & cool the other circuits, preventing rapid heat spikes and potential bad stuff.

So now I'm thinking of a cooling module with engine coolant, engine oil, & power steering circuits, as well as an upsized inter cooler heat exchanger. Add to that a high quality a/c coil and we should be golden. I've heard DSE is using C&R for these kinds of radiators, I'm looking into them now.
Muscle Car Of The Week
V8 Radio Podcast

All about us:
https://www.v8speedshop.com