Thread: My New Digs
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo View Post
I'm jealous of the garage square footage, looks like it will be a nice place to work. I don't know what you have planned for the space behind the garage but I would think about putting a garage door out the back as well. I love opening my front and back doors on a summer day and getting all the natural light and a little breeze going through the garage.
We thought about making it garage space and the extra door, but it costs a mint to build a house these days and I'm done going back to the engineer and architect. Well, at least for major changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Been waiting for you to post this up!

So 1 kid is all you're doing I take it? Hope that surgery went well....

The game room doubles as the 4th bedroom I take it?

And the kid's room right by the front door while parents are in the back? (That'll go well as he gets older.... )

Let it rip!
Yep, 1 and done. We are both 40 so the old sand has about run out.

Yes, the game room has a closet for resale, my gun safe, and likely all the camera/alarm crap.

If he's like me, we'll have to shackle his to his bed. It doesn't matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Todd, your plan is very similar to ours....we are right at 3100 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 3.5 bath, with lots of open areas facing back of house and no steps...all on 8/10s of an acre. We had the option of going 4 bedroom but 2 would have had to share a bath. This way each bedroom has their own bath which works better for out of town guests (no kids here).

I see you also put 1 bathtub in...we did that as well but considered none at all.

They trimmed ours Monday, inside and out is ready for paint now. We are picking out slabs for countertops today.
The area really dictated the 4 bathrooms. We are the little guy in the area and I want the utility and the guest quarters for resale. Plus my son is only 2 so we still need a bathtub in his room. I finally listened to the old mantra, buy or build the smallest house in the best area you can afford. I saw its effect on the appraisal. Bigger houses pulled up our value higher than I thought and I'm a very active agent in the area. I hope to walk into a little equity. I'm trying to avoid the gotta have it mentality. I'm purposely funding the contingency money out of my back pocket so I think about it more. Every time I make a decision to exceed budget or bring in something extra, it's going to hurt. Now that I'm so deep into the project, we have got much better at GOOD ENOUGH. Let's build the thing. There are so many chances to be stupid. For instance, once shade of cabinet color was going to cost 5k. It's more trendy. We decided that once it was in the house, we'd never know the difference so we went with the less expensive option. It's plenty nice and close enough.

Last edited by Vegas69; 01-10-2018 at 08:56 AM.