View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 03:30 PM

So I got to spend some time with a tape measure inside the shop yesterday.

What should I consider a minimum distance away from a side wall for my drive on lift placement?

I have plenty of room toward the inside of the shop but my issue is lining up to the door. My 9' wide door is only 2 foot and change away from the outside wall and I need to get the drive on end of the lift as close to the door as I can to make sure there is enough room at the other end of the lift.

I can make it work with the drive on end of the lift being 3 feet away from the outside wall and the other end of the lift 4 feet away from the outside wall. Nothing has to be along that wall so there would be plenty of room to walk outside the ramp and also plenty of room to say pull an axle out of a housing or something like that.

Hopefully that won't be too cumbersome. I know it is not ideal, but for most jobs it should be okay, no?

The lift will have wheels so I guess if I really needed room around the outside of it I could load the car on the lift and then move it toward the center...but that would be an extreme case and not something I'd want to do on a regular basis.