View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
This looks interesting. So a C4-type suspension is also called a five-link, I think, and the DSE setup is called a "decalink," which sounds like a Bruce Jenner-style update (the Olympics version, not the modern one). It's hard to tell via DSE's site, but is there now some semblance of an upper control arm? Aside from that, it looks very similar to the C4 setup (with batwing!), which I recently learned was largely pirated from early Indy car-type setups (makes me feel better about my C4 stuff) . . .

Nice stuff!
It has an upper link, a lower link, a toe link, and two forward links - so you could call it a true 5-link. The axle shafts are free-floating with CV joints and are not part of the suspension like the C-4 set-up. The C-4 uses the axle shaft as the upper suspension link, but the Decalink does not. The C-4 is, therefore, a 5-link with the axle shaft serving as the fifth suspension link. I had a C-4 based rear suspension in the car earlier, but I pulled it in favor of the true 5-link (post 26 has a photo of the C-4 based system in the car). If you look carefully at the picture I posted of the DSE unit mocked up in the car (post 27) you can see the upper link. The axles are not installed in that photo. I debated going to upper and lower control arms, but I am fond of a multi-link that applies driving and braking forces through the forward links that are parallel with the car's axis - much like the old CanAm cars. The forward links also give you a much better range of anti-dive/anti-squat adjustments than control arms, and the lateral links (upper and lower) provide for a wider range of roll center adjustment. Thanks.

Pappy

Last edited by mfain; 01-03-2019 at 10:18 PM.