View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Love third Gens and like your approach at buying a decent car to start with, much easier than going a full rebuild from the ground up right off the bat.

Something I have found that works for me is to plan your upgrades out very well and try to not take the car off the road for more than 2-3 weeks at a time. This way you keep interested in the car and project creep doesn't sideline you to the "Jackstand class".

For example, I just did a complete brake system upgrade along with some steering components in just under 4 days. My T56 swap start to finish took 20 days. Following this plan will not only make you plan your projects out better before turning the first wrench and will also let you keep enjoying the car as you upgrade it.
Thanks for the tips Lance. My approach with my cars has always been to drive them as much as possible in the summer and fix any small items that come up. Then, in the winter, I tackle the big projects since I have about 3-4 months where I cant drive the car. I'm definitely aware of project creep and I'm trying to work quickly so I can get back out there in the spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
I'd say you're off to a great start. Make sure you have plenty of chassis bracing. It may take more than subframe connectors. Make sure the engine's reliable as well as having the brakes up to snuff. From there, learn and plan. Make sure you're always starting with a solid reliable platform even if that means forgoing the fun parts. Driving the car and learning its limits is the fan part.
Good advice Trey, thanks for the tips!

Last edited by garage_engineer; 12-04-2017 at 08:16 PM.