Thread: Investing 102
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Good points Erik...

Especially the one that you make about it doesn't matter so much how you're doing it - but that you ARE doing it.

Mutual Funds have their place - and most people feel more comfortable letting the pro pick. Nothing wrong whatsoever about this form of investing. But I will point out that PICKING THE RIGHT Mutual Fund is every bit as hard - and as important as picking the right individual stock. Most people just don't understand = nor can name their mutual fund = which means they can not follow (at all) a mutual fund. They tend to buy and hold and not go back and see what's up -- UNTIL they notice they're down 30% from the prior year. Then they SELL -- and then they buy the next mutual fund that had the best performance from the last period. THAT my friends is the fastest way to lose your ass... I see it happen CONSTANTLY.... people wake up and they get their statement and they're down - they panic and sell (at the bottom) and they then "re-invest" at the top. 99% can't even tell you why they bought what they did - nor tell you the top 3 holdings in the fund.

I like the "pride of ownership" of saying -- Yeah -- I own "such and such"... and it's easy to name the 5 or 6 you own - and it's easy to understand and or to hold through a down period because you actually know what they are and why you bought them.

When the market SUCKS --- I remind myself by looking at the stocks on a long term (10 years or 5 years) chart - and I see that - over time that line is low on the left and higher towards the right. Then I "skip the dips"... and I am reassured that I'm on the right course - OVER TIME.

There's all kinds of ways to get there -- you MUST just choose something that you can live with and JUST DO IT! That way there's no right or wrong way.