View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM

I respect the fact that some of us aren't made of money and you nearly have to be to buy a Mohawk lift. Those things are ridiculously expensive and part of the reason for that has more to do with Government contracts than anything else. Once you get on an "approved supplier list" where Government entities can just be lazy and buy your lift without going through certain quoting processes you can pretty much charge whatever you'd like. Mowhawk does have a unique feature with it's hydraulics but it isn't worth what they charge IMHO.

Certified is certified as long as it's the right agency doing the certs anyway. Yes, Chinese stuff usually is of a poorer overall quality, and I know how things are done in China; God knows I've been over there enough, but as long as it's certified, backed my an American manufacturer, and it's physically beefy enough I'm all for saving the money. I would NEVER get a Chinese; or American lift for that matter, if it isn't certified.

When you get to a certain point, it really has more to do with the foot pattern of your lift and the strength and quality of your concrete and anchors than the lift itself. Getting it installed properly and not being an idiot when you run the thing have at least as much to do with your overall safety. Most lift failures in the videos online that I've seen are anchor failures and improperly balanced or a load too heavy for the lift. Not even certification will save you if you pick up a crew cab diesel truck unbalanced with your 7,000lb lift on your 3" un-reinforced concrete.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 01-07-2014 at 09:10 AM.