View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 12:08 PM

Last summer during our "off season" I made some significant changes to Barney, adding EFI to the SBC under the hood and making big changes to the rear suspension spring and bar rates. Both changes were meant to make the car not only more competitive on track, but also to make it more street friendly off the track.

It took some dialing in to make everything play nice together, not only a lot of street driving to dial the EFI in but several SCCA autocross events to dial the rear shocks and sway bars in to the new rear setup. I'm very happy with the results, Andrew helped a ton dialing the throttle response in and it is now buttery smooth in all instances and making great power every where. I also have the rear suspension dialed in so well that I have not touched a knob screw or bolt on the car since after the Sept 4th SCCA event.

Since then I drove the car to, raced, and drove home from:

A SCCA event Oct 13 (pax'd 13 out of 126)
A SCCA event Nov 3rd (pax'd 23rd out of 110)
A Good Guys weekend (missed top 32 shootout by .005s of a second)
And a SCCA event Dec 1 (pax'd 15th out of 108)

All with the exact same setup in a 3500# small tire car with 57% of the weight on the front tires. Results like this are attributed to all of those that have helped me learn how to tune as well as learn how to drive over the past bunch of years. This hobby is filled with people that continue to pay it forward and this is what makes it so rewarding for me. I only hope I can continue to pay it forward to others in the same manner. Hopefully this car can be a testament that one can run competitively with purpose built autocross cars in a not so prepped, front heavy, stick axle old muscle car as long as you take the time to dial it (and the driver) in properly and still have a ton of fun in the process.

Here is a video of my fastest run at the last SCCA event. It was a tough course with several painfully slow corners that my locker did NOT agree with...but we still came away with a pretty good result.

Last edited by SSLance; 12-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.