View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

My thoughts are in bold text below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaml123 View Post
Hello Everyone,

So i recently picked up an L99 mated with a 6l80 with approx 66k

This is what i got a 1969 Camaro with a 383 sbc/350 trans,10 bolt eaton posi 3.73 gears with moser axles, i got caltracs split leaf and traction bars in the rear,rebuilt original front suspension with energy bushings along with qa1 adjustable coil over shocks, brakes i went with c6 corvette brakes all around. Car still has the original Subframe with aluminum mounting bushings.

Questions:
Block Decoding--block casting number reads 12621766 heads read 823 my question block decodes as ls9 is this correct? From my understanding its an LS9 Block with L99 internals am i wrong?
You read to much internet. It's just a 6.2L block, perhaps GM used the same casting for all 6.2L's.

Engine/Trans swap(Budget Friendly)-
1- What is the best budget friendly kit to make the swap? I know i may need to notch the frame if so what do i need to notch? keep in mind that i prefer to buy something if i am going to be having issues in the future.
In my opinion the Holley/Hooker stuff is the best to go with; not too pricey, and easy. It all works together.

2- Do i need to cut the floor to make the trans fit? If so how much and what the easiest way?(images would be great)
Absolutely. I don't have pics, but the 6L transmissions are big! You will also need some type of slip driveshaft, or possibly get away with a CV style. This won't be cheap.

3- Shifter whats the best shifter(budget friendly) to use and any issues with mounting it/installing it?
Shiftworks, uses the stock shifter. http://www.jegs.com/i/Shiftworks/845/SC2614/10002/-1

4-Trans crossmember-- Better to build your own or buy one? Any issues with exhaust clearance.
I am inexperienced with trans crossmembers on the 6L80's for your application. Might need to build one.

5-Oil Pan- Do i need to replace due to clearance issues or sitting too low or just notch the frame?(this applies to motor and trans pan)
Yes you'll need a Holley 302-2 or 302-3.

6- Do i need to replace my steering box? or what is the best option as i read there may be clearance issues with the headers?
No. Hooker, Ultimate Headers, and others have LS swap headers available.

7- Wiring--- is it cheaper to get a standalone system and flash the ECU? or buy the fitech LS kit i was leaning more towards the fitech setup. I currently do not have the ECU have only the engine harness not sure if i need anything else.
It'll be easier for you to get a new harness. It will be more expensive too. PSI Conversion is the least expensive.

8- Whether i go with original harness or fitech do i still have to reprogram the trans? and can that be done without going to a shop assuming its something basic?
The 6L80e doesn't have a standalone. So you'll need an EFI system that is capable of controlling a 6L80e. Easier to go with an OE computer.
You did not ask anything about the front accessory drive. To use the stock AC compressor you will have some clearance issues I believe with the subframe.
https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/prod...oducts_id=1757 - this is a possible solution to use a Sanden AC compressor, nicely compatible with a Vintage Air system.
Also you'll need a fuel pump. Easiest is the Tanks Inc tank & pump for approx $500. Or you can run an inline pump with the stock tank, which isn't ideal since the tank doesnt have any baffling. LS Corvette filter/regulator is the cheapest fuel regulation.

By the way, we sell all this stuff, so if you get it figured out, im happy to work up a quote.

-Dale
GMachineChassis.com
LSxEngines.com
Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

Last edited by Schwartz Perf; 04-04-2018 at 10:40 PM.