Thread: Investing 102
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 08:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
Mike, Jim Cramer was banned from trading (stocks) years ago. He had a hedge fund and did . . . typical hedge fund things, but got caught; he is an entertaining and knowledgeable guy (TV personality!), but he's telling you (literally) yesterday's news. Sites like Motley Fool are paid to pump stocks (by writing crap that makes them sound appealing), which leads to buying in the midst of a (sometimes institutional/insider) dump. CNBC is designed to sell advertising, itself, and services, like all TV.

With easy "information," you get what you pay for, which is nothing. Read Benjamin Graham, maybe some George Soros, and use the education features that come with trading accounts you can get through companies like TD Ameritrade (or others) for free. Try a book like Trading (or Investing) For Dummies--it sounds offensive, but the information tends to be pretty good. Most books you'll find at Barnes and Noble on investing, however, tend to be junk. There's some decent content on YouTube . . .
No doubt, i hear what your saying. I just want to keep up with fundamental changes of the larger companies we invest in. Like new products, or change in leadership, etc etc....
I, like many of us here, very much subscribe to the Peter Lynch (One Up On Wall Street '87, head of the Fidelity Magellan fund 80's and 90's) school of thought. "If you like it, or theres a line, buy the stock/business"

KISS

thanx for all your feedback, appreciate it, mike