View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 PM

Default My Camaro "70" LS3+T56 Track & Drifting, Lot of pics and vids

Hi, found this forum recently, or someone in nastyz28 adviced to ask about something from here.

Let me introduce my project(s) and what have i done so far. Gues little different what you guys have used to but bare with me.

First one is 1978 Camaro, i have driven Drifting at pretty serious level for five years now, allways with vintage cars (european) but decided that i want something different. From cars and about driving itself. I did Camaro that way that i can drive also track races in Historic Race Finland series called Roadsport V8, car was originally builted to that class and i did rather minor modifications it to use it at Drifiting, so it´s easy to convert between races.

More info about Roadsport series -> http://www.historicrace.fi/indexe.htm

I did drove only Drift season last summer, car was still little uncomplete and didn´t want to rush things.

Video footage from last Drifting season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifl8TzdMYg

So at first "Project 2010"

This is how it was when i bought the car.

Specs
Engine:
-LS3 from GMPP
-Tatech engine management, no MAF. http://www.tatech.fi/index.php
-Lunati voodoo 65602 Cam, 227 / 238deg 0.50" lift. max 0.583 / 0.600"
-Lunati Gold Patriot double spring set
-Pacesetter 1 3/4" longtube headers
-3" dual exhaust, separate.
475whp / 660nm torque.

Drivetrain:
-Cluthmasters FX500 Clutch and their flywheel
- Tremec T56 from -98 f-body, will prep during winters with some goodies
-Original rearaxle with 3.72 ratio, posi diff and c-clip eliminators.

Body:
-Converted to looklike 70-73
-Fiberglass Front end, hood, doors, trunklid, bumbers
-Full cage, including g-braces extending to cage
-Fully stripped, seamwelded
-Subframe connectors
-Lexan windows except front screen.
Car weights 1305kg = 2870lb with full tank and w/o driver. Weight ratio is 50.5 / 49.5% with driver.

Front suspension:
-Some stiffer lowering springs?
-Bilstein Shocks
-Some stiffer sway bar?
-Bushings are polyurethane in lower arm and sway bar, and metal in upper arm.
-81 Z28 steering box and steering arms (spindle) are about 1.5" shorter and turned towards wheel to gain more steerin lock and eliminate ackerman.
-Wilwood superlite brake calibers with corvette 12" discs
-17x8 AR TT2 wheels ET0 with 1" spacers, Tyres Toyo Proxes R888 235/45-17

Rear:
-Leaf springs, some stiffer ones with iron bushings
-Rear sway bar
-Panhard bar
-S14 Nissans Coil-overs instead of shocks, with 50kg/cm springs.
-Wilwood dynalite brake calibers with corvette 12" discs
-18" wheels, lot of options, all BAD. Tyres from my sponsor, finnish CR-Renkaat, 245/40-18, pattern from Bridgestone RE71, rubber compound from Avon Semislicks

(I´m sorry that project pics dont link properly to this forum, if anyone knows how its done, please advice me. Simple [img][/img dont work, you have to change pic url someway..]

Bodywork

Engine fitted, LS3 engine did sit IMO nicely in place with original LS3 vette oilpan, sits low and far back, nearly mid engined Gearbox tunnel had to be remanufactured. 4gen pacesetter exhaust manifolds did fit rather easy in place, little bending ang cutting but couple hours of labour.

In paintshop

About ready

Dynoresults

In use

http://s324.photobucket.com/albums/k...5052010012.flv

Will be posting updates when project moves along, i will be doing basically suspension and steering mods for next season, and brake upgrades for track racing. For steering i am going for rack, and need to get wheels to turn much more. Selfmade control arms and some other cars spindles are THE plan, maybe from MK4 Supra, would get some descent brakes for bonus then.

For rear i´m gonna ditch the leaf springs, somesord of 4-link setup is major plan, other option is some modern car IRS + diff. I´m not afraid of little custom job or cutting the body. But i´m open suggestions about rear modifications.