View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I have a couple of friends that are really into the pistol classes (might be what you are talking about above) where they spend all day doing active shooter type stuff, in and out of structures, obstacles etc. They say when they take breaks while debriefing mostly they are putting callouses on their fingers stuffing rounds back into clips...

Greg, when you go to the range...how many rounds do you typically fire in a session? Like do you just spend an hour or so and maybe 30-50 rounds or are you out for a day with multiple boxes of rounds fired?

Great question.....

Like many things we do - "seat time counts". And taking classes....

I'll shoot a 1000 rounds PER WEEK..... in the nicer months.... and probably down to 50 rounds a session (twice a week) in the winter when it's 20*'s or teens. Just too cold sitting there with only your trigger finger being active!!

I went thru 6000 rounds of 9MM this summer.... it's cheap to shoot ($225 per 1000 delivered to my door)..... and will go thru 2000 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor - 1000 + rounds of .45 ACP.... and 400/500 rounds of the .22-250 when I'm active.

I use the 9mm for the IDPA matches - and have three pistols - two HK VP9's (one is a tactical model) and a Wilson EDC X9 carry. So I practice A LOT with those (thus the 9mm burn rate) - drawing from a concealed carry and two on torso. I'm going for accuracy and speed - with repetitive practice. I want to be under 2 seconds for completion and a closed fist group. I have my own timer -- so just repeat and repeat and repeat.....

Guess I should have answered the direct question --- "it depends" --- I'll take more ammo than I shoot --- because sometimes I think I'll go down for an hour or so - and end up with a couple buddies showing up - and I'll get home in time to make dinner..... many times I sit on the spotting scope for others -- or some newbs show up - and you help them.... but I plan to shoot 500 ish rounds any given range day. A lot of times ------- I let others shoot my ammo and my guns ----- because it's fun to get them on to 500 yards + --- something they've never done before.

Last edited by GregWeld; 12-25-2017 at 09:14 AM.