Thread: Setting Toe
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
I've tried setting toe without toe plates and the extra friction screws up the adjustments. A toe change twists the tire and you need to free up that friction to have a good measurable setting. I haven't tried the multiple pieces of wax paper method. I also heard a sandwich of 10 pages of newsprint works.
Simplest thing to do is roll the car back and forth a bit and travel the suspension while rolling. This releases the friction you mention and puts the front end in its neutral position. You'll get a good measurement and works well at the track or in the shop

If you're in the shop and have a smooth floor, another option is get yourself four sheets of 12"x12"x0.060" aluminum, smear a very thin layer of grease on two of them and then lay the other two sheets on top of the grease (aligning the edges of course). These can be put under the front tires. Make your toe adjustment and travel the front suspension. Good measurements again. Store easily and last a long time. Late model team I worked on has had the same set for over 10 years.