View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I lowered the pinion last weekend to the point that it's about .5 degrees nose down now. This got the working angle at the rear u-joint down to around 1.5 degrees. I was still slightly up in the rear. This did change the front working angle but it was still a little over 3 degrees. I took the car out for a drive anyway. Nothing changed or it changed so slightly it's not worth mentioning.

Today, I tried to raise the transmission by removing the snubber on top to gain the clearance I needed. I wasn't able to go up but a few tenths due to the reverse lockout hitting the tunnel now.

So my plan at this point is to cut the tunnel out enough to get the transmission where I need it. I'll leave it open until I'm certain I have the transmission where it needs to be. Hopefully, this will either fix the issue or allow me to rule it out.

Some maybe good news is I think I'll have the clearance I need for the headers though it will get tight in places once I raise the engine. I'm also fairly certain I won't have to raise the tunnel over the driveshaft. I'll just have to change the tunnel over the transmission.

The bad news and why I'm going to leave the tunnel open until I'm certain the angles are correct is that I'm going to have to cut out part of the factory tunnel brace that's spot welded to the floor from side to side. The drive shaft will be way too close if it clears at all once I raise the transmission. This means making a DSE style trans brace and putting in new floors which I needed anyway. I'm not willing to do all of that until after I know the drive line angles are working correctly.

We'll see what happens. I'll be back with an update later.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims