View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

A guy could write a book on all the steps - forward and backward - there is to building a car.... and "it all depends" is in order here. Because it does all depend...

You wanting to just build a nice driver quality car? Or do you want a show quality paint and fit and finish?

Your warranty is going to start day of purchase.... why have the clock ticking while it sits in some filthy body shop?

Do you want to change OTHER THINGS about the car? Trans tunnel going to work in stock form for your combo? Minimal body work means what? That you know what the floors are like when they're free from dirt and undercoating?? You've seen the panels and they're not full of bondo and bad bodywork? I'm not being a smart ass here..... I'm merely suggesting that MANY A GUY HERE has "thought" there was little to do on their beautifully painted car -- only to find the nasty truth out. It's a HUGE OUCH and we've all been hit by it.

The reason I ask about driver vs show ------ do you want the wiring hidden? The various fluid handling lines? You want them stainless steel? or is the factory looking variety okay for you? Do you want the firewall slicked? Inner fenders? Want a factory placed master cylinder and steering components? Or aftermarket stuff. Gauges? Glass? Want factory or the flush mount stuff.... Hood okay stock? Or? And Hood hinges.... and on and on. Going to want to mini tub or leave it stock. THESE ALL DETERMINE how many times various pieces need to be installed and removed - and installed and test fit - and removed again for paint..... Some times I might have a part off or in and out of the car half a dozen or more times...... when in that kind of a build you don't want the car painted.

If you're going to build a nice driver - and mostly all stock -- lets say -- take a look at the transplants KWhizz (Ken Tibor) on here has done..... then I'd say get her painted - but not cut or buffed.... LEARN how to protect things --- and do the install... Get your interior installed and then cut and buff.

If you're going to do a few custom things that need holes drilled and things moved around and brackets built and blah blah blah.... get all that done and figure out before doing paint.