View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
First of all you guys really nailed the interior on this thing - its easy for a shop to kind of do the easy route and just slam in some over-leathered smoothed out street rod style interior, but you guys really came down in the perfect place combining the original utilitarian steel panelled stuff with some softer materials and brighter colors.

Question- in the interior episode it was mentioned that you stamped out the CRAFTSMAN logo on the tailgate "in aluminum". The tailgate looks so OEM I can't imagine you built the whole thing out of aluminum. Did the video mis-speak or did you actually integrate an aluminum piece into a restored OEM tailgate ? CAn you elaborate a bit on how that was done ? (not asking the secrets to the perfectly formed logo letters !)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
I think his question is how they got the aluminum attached to the steel tailgate...??

I caught that too in the video....
To integrate the aluminum piece with the letters, we used 3M Panel Bond adhesive, a technique used in the collision industry and by automotive manufacturers to bond dissimilar materials.

IMG_4351 by Roadster Shop, on Flickr

IMG_4394 by Roadster Shop, on Flickr