Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 12-08-2016, 08:57 PM

I would guess about 40 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
How heavy do they feel?
I re-did a set of BMWs (3 series, manual control) for a VW I had, Jeezus they were heavy!
Old 12-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Default Integral Seat Belt Concern

I've read a lot of posts in these various forums about seat conversions and many show/contemplate using seats with the seat belts integral to the seat. As we all know, the first gen Camaro seat belts use anchors separate to the seat. Compare the size of the grade 8 mounting bolt and threaded anchor point for the first gen seat belts with the mounting bolts for the seats; huge difference. I'd be very concerned that the first gen seat mounting bolts were not designed to hold a 200 +\- person and a 40+\- seat in place in the case of an accident; do the math on that force in a 35 mph accident (let alone one higher speed). Some serious reengineeging of the OEM seat mounts should be necessary at a minimum to use seats with integral seat belts. I hope that this is something that everyone recognizes and is so basic that it doesn't warrent mention here and not simply an oversight.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:30 AM

ctcz28.....Chris is that you from TC? Appreciate your insight into seat belt issue. I'm not going to use the BMW seat belts and components at all, I'll use the existing factory belts for the time being and eventually upgrade to the Morris ones.
https://www.morrisclassic.com/collec...maro-seatbelts

I realize that safety is of the utmost importance when building cars and or modifying cars that go fast. Hence why my C6 front brake upgrade this spring is at the top of the list. I just want to upgrade the front seats from the flat factory ones and be comfortable whether cruising or putting the car through the paces.
Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcz28 View Post
I've read a lot of posts in these various forums about seat conversions and many show/contemplate using seats with the seat belts integral to the seat. As we all know, the first gen Camaro seat belts use anchors separate to the seat. Compare the size of the grade 8 mounting bolt and threaded anchor point for the first gen seat belts with the mounting bolts for the seats; huge difference. I'd be very concerned that the first gen seat mounting bolts were not designed to hold a 200 +\- person and a 40+\- seat in place in the case of an accident; do the math on that force in a 35 mph accident (let alone one higher speed). Some serious reengineeging of the OEM seat mounts should be necessary at a minimum to use seats with integral seat belts. I hope that this is something that everyone recognizes and is so basic that it doesn't warrent mention here and not simply an oversight.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:54 PM

Well not BMW but Mini Cooper S seats while manual they adjust up/down, tilt forward and back, have adjustable lumbar and best of all for 2 doors coups slide forward for easy backseat access. A plus is they were only 75.00 and have flat mounts so adapting them is going to be a piece of cake.
Attached Images

73 Allison Dune Buggy
Old 01-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Well after some chopping, cutting and rebuilding the seats have been fitted. Having manual adjustments on the seats made things a little more difficult but with some switching of the seats, drivers to pass and vice versa the show must go on for the time being.

A big thank you goes out to Tony aka "v8s only" who helped with the fabbing and happen to have a 1969 Camaro as well to test fit the seats. Once it gets warmer here in Toronto which is a good few months away will transfer to my vehicle along with some other upgrades.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2017, 02:05 PM

Default Seats

LOL ... Tony to the rescue again !!
Looks great Simon

Cheers
Steve
1966 FJ40 R2.8 -SOLD
911 Hotrod - SOLD
2002 Gated 360
Next up - "Killer Piggy"
Old 07-12-2017, 08:55 AM

Fitted the seats in the car and I think they came out pretty decent, one had to go to the upholsters for some fixing. Way more comfortable!
Shelved the originals in storage for now.

Maybe a console that blends old and new is next?
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

They look really nice in there! Great job, is the seat bottom much higher than the stock seat?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:51 PM

Those seats look great, fit in very nicely. CTC consoles make some nice-looking equipment, look to be fairly customizeable.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 AM

Simon,
Those seats look fantastic and I bet make driving the car a whole different (better) experience. Great photo comparing the old OEM seat to the new one, really shows just how worthless those OEM headrests were compared to the new ones that will actually provide some protection in a rear end accident. You mentioned the Morris 3 point belts. I installed a set and love them, also way safer than just a lap belt. Good work and great looking car.