Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 07-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Have you ever tried to stop a car with no front brakes.......and a slurpee in your hand?

Seriously though, half a brake system (in this case, the bad half) will not stop the car from speed......it will help you slow down, however.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 07-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

*not stop a car from speed quickly.

It would definitely EVENTUALLY stop you.

I'm just giving you guys a hard time. I'd venture most the guys worried about having those haven't driven their cars hard since the notice was posted.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 AM

I received my email from Ron yesterday since I have a master involved in the recall. My car just made it to the street and now has about 150 miles on it. The whole brake system was put together my Ron (it is a 69 Firebird set up for the track, but driven on the street). I have bled the brakes several times...a combination of gravity feed and pump-hold method, and the master was bench bled. As far as I can tell, I have no air in the lines. My rotors, pads, lines, everything is new. I have bedded the pads in as best I can, but the braking performance just doesn't seem to be there yet. When I slam on the brakes from around 55mph I can't even get them to lock up, and the pedal seems vague when driving around town (seems like I have to think ahead to stop). Could my problems be coming from a bad master, or something else?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
I received my email from Ron yesterday since I have a master involved in the recall. My car just made it to the street and now has about 150 miles on it. The whole brake system was put together my Ron (it is a 69 Firebird set up for the track, but driven on the street). I have bled the brakes several times...a combination of gravity feed and pump-hold method, and the master was bench bled. As far as I can tell, I have no air in the lines. My rotors, pads, lines, everything is new. I have bedded the pads in as best I can, but the braking performance just doesn't seem to be there yet. When I slam on the brakes from around 55mph I can't even get them to lock up, and the pedal seems vague when driving around town (seems like I have to think ahead to stop). Could my problems be coming from a bad master, or something else?

Absolutely possible. If the seals are not 100% ... you're getting less force at the caliper.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 PM

I received an email from Summitracing in regards to this recall.
I live overseas and shipping the item back to the States will cost $100 plus. I will contact Wilwood and see how this matter will be handled.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s
Old 07-23-2017, 11:55 PM

I received a letter from Summit and the next day I received a second letter from Wilwood. And of course my MC is part of the recall. I have not had any problems with my brakes in the 10,000 odd miles I have on Dust Off but I will be pulling the MC and sending it in before driving the car again. I just hope I have it back in time for a track day on 8/13.

http://wilwood.com/PDF/PressReleases...ease_Final.pdf
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Bit of an update. Wilwood appears to be handling this as well as could be expected. I shipped mine back last week. It's been across the country, repaired, and already on its way back.

John
Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 PM

Mine goes out tomorrow. I hope to get it back soon because it's the only thing keeping me from driving this pig.....
Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 PM

Shipped mine back to Wilwood on 7/14 and it's scheduled to delivered back to me on Wednesday (7/26).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The project my son and I've been slowly working.
'71 Cutlass Supreme
Old 07-26-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Mine goes out tomorrow. I hope to get it back soon because it's the only thing keeping me from driving this pig.....
haha Yeah I'm in same boat. Actually these days I'm not sure I'd call it a boat. More like a piece of timber I'm clinging to after the ship hit the iceberg.