Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-10-2012, 05:03 PM

I know the actual tire size varies with manufacturers as well, so it may end up with a bit smaller tire. I sold the 99 GT that had the 18X10 wheels with 285 tires so I need to either measure off of the 17" wheels I have or snag another set to measure off of. With the 4-link system I am running the lower control arm is going to be the tight spot. Maybe down the road I will look into moving the arm to the inside of the frame rail to maximize the new tubs, but for now I am leaving well enough alone
Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 PM

The engine is now mounted. I made a temporary mount to hold the transmission in place till I can get the materials to build a new trans crossmember. Once that is done I can sit the tunnel top back in place and see how much its going to need to be raised. I'm also relocating the factory shifter hole rearward to match the T-56 shifter position. Then hopefully I should be able to use a stock style shifter boot. I also ordered in new front floorpans to take care of the last of the rust (I hope).

Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Finally took a break from working on my powdercoating oven to work on the car a bit. The hood hinge bolts into the aprons with some crappy crimped nuts from the factory. I had a broken off bolt in one hole and the nut was ripped out on another hole. There were also several holes that needed to be filled. I took the leap and just started drilling out spot welds and replaced the whole panel. The only downside is the new panel didn't have the holes for the fender bolts nor did it have the VIN number so I cut that section out of the old panel and welded it into the new one. I still have a few plug welds to do at the bottom once the mock up engine is out of the way and some grinding before a skim coat of mud and it will be like new. Also hope to get the shock tower delete panels welded in soon too.

On another note I stumbled upon a deal on a 99 LS-1 Camaro T-56 trans. It was supposedly warrantied out in 2000 for "3rd gear takes too much effort to engage". It looks like new and was only $650 with a new hyd slave and master cylinders included. Now I can clean up and sell the LT1 T-56 that I have been using for mock up to cover most of that cost.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 AM

I figured I would post an update. The LS1 T-56 I mentioned in the last post was picked up by a friend in KC who was near and he held it for me while I made time to go up and get it. Once I got up there I found out that the seller had lied and it was yet another LT1 T-56 At least this one is super clean and a 2.66 1st gear so I can convert it over.

I started in on replacing the front floor pans since they had some minor rust. While the pans were out I went in and coated the insides of the frame rails and extended up the trans tunnel brace to clear the T-56. The passenger side is in and this weekend I hope to get the drivers side welded in and start on fitting the old trans tunnel back in and patching in the gaps where it was raised.

I also found out recently that install I did on the AJE 4-link rear suspension will be covered in the June issue of Modified Mustangs. I'm hoping for a full article once the car is complete.

Edit: I also have pictures of the finished EFI conversion on the intake. I also got word this week that they are starting on the machine work on my block. God willing they will have the short block together before too long and I can start putting the long block together and sit it in the car to finalize the steering shaft placement and header design.

Last edited by Injected65; 02-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:16 AM

Sweet Stang!!!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 04:09 PM

Don't you just hate it when you click on a thread and there are no updates??!!

Well the car took a long vacation in the corner of the shop. I was burned out on having to re-fix stuff that I paid to have fixed the first time. So here a few months ago I contacted a local body shop that had done some work for my buddy (as well as several other car guys). He had a 3 week opening where he could squeeze my car in and get some work done to it. Of course not everything went as planned. The new quarters I had paid the previous guy to install needed cut back off and yet another set of quarters installed. But they were able to get the interior of the car nearly finished as well as the back of the car up to the firewall and the engine compartment body worked. They ran out of time, I ran out of money and it is back home now.

Here are some pictures....

They filled in some holes in the trunk floor and mounted the trunk hinges to the mini tubs.

They hung the new passenger quarter. Much nicer panel and much cleaner install.

They finished patching in and welding up the raised tunnel for the T-56 and the new front pans.

The smoothed out the engine bay and put in some custom braces behind the panels for extra strength.

Starting on the engine bay body work.

I had the dash cut for a modern stereo. They cut the opening and then did some detail metal work to blend it into the curve of the dash. They also removed the dash pad mounts. I am going to have a smooth steel dash like in the early Falcons.

I stopped by a couple weeks later and they had the car in primer.

The engine bay looks great with the new panels in.

They epoxy primed and then undercoated the floors. I am still planning on doing additional sound deadening though.

This is where the car sits now. I bought it back home. Time to save up some cash for round 2 at the body shop. Next up they are going to fit the front sheet metal and get the rest of the car smoothed up and ready for paint. In the mean time I am going to fit the motor and trans in the car and start working on building up exhaust and working on fuel and brake plumbing. Inside the car I can start mounting up the Vintage Air A/C and running the new wiring harness.

Items still up in the air that I need to research and decide on are:

Wheels
Hood style
Front bumper/valance style
Body Color (I was thinking stock color like in the rendering but am thinking something late model in a blue or red maybe)
Seats

Sorry for the delay. I sure hope its not another 2-3 years for the next update.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 AM

Should be a handful, BBF was a good choice
Old 02-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice! Glad to see the project isn't dead. Sounds like you've got a great plan. Best of luck moving forward.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 09-13-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injected65 View Post
Sorry for the delay. I sure hope its not another 2-3 years for the next update.

Is there any awards for longest project?

Not too long after my last post I got the BBF installed into the car and after measuring and contemplating, I decided that it wasn't going to work like I wanted. Brake master was going to need to be relocated, the distributor (let alone the throttle body and filter) wasn't going to clear the hood, I decided that I didn't need a rowdy 700hp big block in the car either.

The car sat in storage for a year while I figured out what I wanted to do. I sold off the BBF and the T56 trans. Here a few months ago I decided that I wanted to get back on this project. I had wrapped up a few other commitments and I wanted to work on MY car for a change. So.... I came to the conclusion that a 5.0L Coyote motor would fit the bill nicely. Yes, its been done a million times over by now, but its a reasonably cheap motor to buy used and makes good power. I am of course deviating from the norm by wanting to use the stock 6L80 automatic transmission behind the motor. There are a few companies working on control packs, but the major road block for most is the size of the trans. It is a huge sob. I am guessing that I will have to modify the tunnel some more, but I did it once, what's another one more.

I am also going to work on integrating a late model (2010) Toyota Corolla electric power steering module into the steering column so I can ditch the need for a power steering pump.

The car is still in storage at my brothers shop, but I am working on clearing out the space at home to bring it back in the next month so I can get to work cutting out the BBF motor mounts and putting in the mounts for the Coyote and working on whatever it takes to mount the 6R80 trans. Once the car is home, I have the Vintage Air parts, AAW wiring harness and Aeromotive fuel system parts in boxes that I can be working on. I also contacted the body shop to find a place in line for me so I can get the front end body work done.

I'm not even going to jinx myself by saying something like I did before about not finishing in a few years. lol
Old 09-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Glad you haven't given up. This is a cool build regardless of engine choice. Good luck with it.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims