Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-11-2017, 08:52 AM

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, guys. With the automotive forums declining in viewership elsewhere (from things like: the photobucket scandal, a move to phones/social media by "the kids", corporate takeovers of many enthusiast forums), and the time it takes me to document these builds, I often wonder if I should continue to chronicle these car projects. Lateral G gives the best/most feedback, which makes it worthwhile. We've even had some folks from here stop by the shop and look at these cars in person.

I also lament the decline of print media - I grew up reading mags like HOT ROD as a kid, got the bug from turning those pages and at a few early wrenching jobs, and at least HR is still going strong. I keep a half dozen subscriptions to my favorite car mags (which we keep in the lobby) and I still hold out hope that there can be a resurgence in this format.

This M3 project should be wrapping up fairly quickly, and then 69 Camaro (below) can get more full time attention. I am going to work on that build thread next...

I guess these builds kind of foster more of the same, as there is a new Pro Touring Vega project that a customer is bringing in soon. Full custom frame-up build for Goodguys/Optima/CAM use. If the admins allow it, I will continue to share our domestic powered builds here at Lateral G.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:15 AM

I look to forward to your post, they are magazine quality, but with far more depth of technical explanation. Your fabricator is one the best out there and your quality of workmanship is top tier. The fact that you show every aspect of the builds, with nothing to hide, speaks volumes of your attention to detail...and allows people who don't do this to see just how much is involved in the seemingly simplest things!

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
Thanks for the kind words and feedback, guys. With the automotive forums declining in viewership elsewhere (from things like: the photobucket scandal, a move to phones/social media by "the kids", corporate takeovers of many enthusiast forums), and the time it takes me to document these builds, I often wonder if I should continue to chronicle these car projects. Lateral G gives the best/most feedback, which makes it worthwhile. We've even had some folks from here stop by the shop and look at these cars in person.

I also lament the decline of print media - I grew up reading mags like HOT ROD as a kid, got the bug from turning those pages and at a few early wrenching jobs, and at least HR is still going strong. I keep a half dozen subscriptions to my favorite car mags (which we keep in the lobby) and I still hold out hope that there can be a resurgence in this format.

This M3 project should be wrapping up fairly quickly, and then 69 Camaro (below) can get more full time attention. I am going to work on that build thread next...

I guess these builds kind of foster more of the same, as there is a new Pro Touring Vega project that a customer is bringing in soon. Full custom frame-up build for Goodguys/Optima/CAM use. If the admins allow it, I will continue to share our domestic powered builds here at Lateral G.

I've wanted to stop by more than once but would hate to interrupt the process. I missed the Open House you had because I was out of town. Hoping you have some sort of annual event in the future......
Old 10-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks as always for documenting and sharing all the great work you do! I agree with everyone else's sentiments. Your work is outstanding and sharing your knowledge/struggles is very much appreciated! Cannot tell you how much time it took me to mount seats in my car and it's still not right, lol.

Dave
Old 10-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD Automotive View Post
I look to forward to your post, they are magazine quality, but with far more depth of technical explanation. Your fabricator is one the best out there and your quality of workmanship is top tier. The fact that you show every aspect of the builds, with nothing to hide, speaks volumes of your attention to detail...and allows people who don't do this to see just how much is involved in the seemingly simplest things!
Craig have you read anything on their white C4? The attention to detail in that build to make it competitive is mind boggling. Truly shows just how good these guys are.

Terry, please keep posting. I/we love these builds and posts. I know it's time consuming to put it all together. It's greatly appreciated.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 10-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Craig have you read anything on their white C4?...
That Corvette looks even better these days. Terry outfitted it with a different tire package for WRL Endurance racing, and changed a couple other things for it to work with that series. The new tires are meaty!
Old 10-21-2017, 09:23 AM

I need to go look then. I'm having to skip the Camaro update because I'm just trying to finish my coffee and get to moving to my new house. I can't waste time drooling.

Thanks for the update, Jason.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:04 PM

Terry said "Vega." Was anybody listening? Didn't anyone here get dragged to drag races in the early '80s (or go via free will) and just freak out on all the Monzas and Vegas doing wheelies and making crazy noise? Didn't you get your eyebrows and nose hairs singed by the jet dragsters? My father did this to me, and it stayed in my mind, much like the first BMX bike that had me "landing" a jump into a rose trellis on my first day of ownership. My mother had a weird Vietnam vet boyfriend who had a Vega, and when I asked him to spin out (stupid idea), he quickly agreed (injury resulted); it sucked, because his Vega didn't have a V8, and he did it in reverse, like a half-arsed Rockford, but whatever . . .

A Vega would be the perfect "old days" (not a Chicago reference, unless you make it that way) reference to this period, but better, since the thing would turn and stick with pro-touring cojones. Speak up, Dave G. Encourage this weirdness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post

Old 10-24-2017, 04:18 PM

I try to contain my excitement as three Vorshlag builds all going on at the same time might just cause me to pass out.

A modern IMSA style Vega would be awesome. I'd say it would make a good counter to that V10 Mustang II built by A-Team Racing.

Last edited by WSSix; 10-24-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Project Update for January 23rd, 2017: Vorshlag got super busy over the past 3 months, so I am behind on build thread updates, but this project has been moving steadily along. Ryan has been plugging away on this M3 for 3 out of every 4 weeks since, and there is a lot to show here: Two fire systems, the custom headers finished, the 8.8" diff built and installed, fuel injectors and lines installed, oil lines build, chassis wiring, coolant reservoir + plumbing, battery kill, coils and plug wires, fuel cell installed, driveshaft built, interior panels, and brake inlets, whew!

I am going to speed up a bit and show fewer pictures for each task, unless it is super unique or interesting. Let's catch up this build in what is probably our last update before we fire the engine up!

FORD 8.8" DIFFERENTIAL HOUSING BUILD & INSTALLED

Normally we would tell E46 guys to just use the 210mm "large case" diff unit from the E46 M3, which can probably handle 600 ft-lbs of torque. As I mentioned before we wanted to build an aluminum 8.8" ring gear IRS housing strong enough to deal with 700 ft-lbs of torque. This Ford sourced unit is lighter, stronger, and has more cost effective options for gearing and differentials than anything ever offered by BMW.

This unit uses the custom steel rear cover shown in previous updates which bolts into the E46 M3 rear subframe. The front of the subframe was modified to use the two forward bushing mounts on the front of the Ford unit, with aluminum bushings we machined in-house.

We chose the Wavetrac 31 spline 8.8" differential for this project. Wavetrac's torque biasing design is the only Torsion style differential made to work in no- or near no-load conditions (if a tire is lifted). The helical 9310 steel gears run in case-hardened billet steel case built with ARP fasteners. They are maintenance free and should perform a lifetime of service without maintenance or rebuilds (has a transferable, Limited Lifetime Warranty). We told them what we had in mind - a life of torque pushing 700 ft-lbs through 345mm Hoosiers - and they said "no problem", so we set up Vorshlag as a Wavetrac dealer.

Several calculations were made to come up with a final gear ratio of 3.73:1, and of course we only use Ford Racing ring and pinion parts + Ford bearings. These were assembled into the freshly bead blasted and then thoroughly cleaned aluminum 8.8" Ford IRS housing.

A "set-up" bearing was installed on the pinion with a pre-crushed sleeve to shim and setup the ring and pinion depth, until Aaron saw the right pattern.

The side bearings were installed and shimmed with zero pre-load on the housing to get back-lash within range. Then Aaron built this tool to spread the aluminum housing...

This spreader tool allowed him to then add .006" of pre-load on the side bearings for proper installation on the aluminum housing. There are some tricks to setting up the aluminum 8.8" IRS housing correctly...

The side axle seals were added and the unit was installed into the chassis.

continued below