Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Spent some time today working on getting the transmission settled in the car.

The 8L90E is a big transmission. The tunnel will need to be raised about an inch near where the tunnel necks down for the drive shaft. The triangular flange at the end of the transmission (this is for the LT4 - LT1 is different) hits.

8L90E for LT1:

8L90E for LT4:

On either transmission, the bolts around the back cover hit the inside of the tunnel. Looking at it, if I were running the LT1 style I'd think that just stretching the tunnel around the back cover might work.

I picked up an Energy Suspension transmission mount for the TH400 in a '67 Chevelle:

I had to drill the separate plate and screw that to the transmission. Then I drilled some divots into the polyurethane so the bolt heads going into the transmission had a place to fit. Then I mounted the pad to the factory transmission cross member and bolted everything up. With a bit of patience, everything lined up with the factory holes.

Last edited by out2kayak; 10-07-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Today Jim from Ultimate Headers picked up the Chevelle. He's taking it back to his shop so they can work out fitment of the headers.

So, if you have a '66 or '67 GM A Body and are looking for headers, he's the man you'll want to talk to.

I should be able to pivot back over to the '64 Corvette while the Chevelle is away. Bryant Racing called me about a week ago saying that my crankshaft was getting close. Hopefully it will be delivered in the next few weeks and I can put the bottom end together. I still need to get the valves in the heads and I'm modifying the exhaust for a larger stem to handle higher EGTs.

Lots to be done.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:05 PM

Hurrah! I just heard from DeWitts. They finished the cooling stack.

Looking forward to receiving all the parts. Will post some pics after arrival.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:03 PM

Yesterday it was a bit of early Christmas around the house. I received both the cooling stack from DeWitts and received the headers from Ultimate Headers.

Both did an excellent job, though I won't be fitting them at the moment. Have to get the rust off the body and frame as well as box the frame.

Forgot to mention that Jim dropped the Chevelle off as well. So, that's back home.

Talking with him, he will be at PRI in Indy. If your there, drop by and say hi.

Last edited by out2kayak; 12-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:35 PM

After the snow started flying in December, I put the girl away for the winter. The fun of needing the space for the DD.

Anyhow, this past Monday I brought her back home and am starting getting things moving forward.

Over the winter I ordered a S60 rear axle with a pro-touring street floater kit. I was worried that, if I ran a different pulley for the supercharger the GM 12 bolt would not last. As well, I liked the street floater kit. See:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/140...rearend-build/

https://www.strangeengineering.net/s...g-floater-kit/

Hopefully it will arrive in a few weeks.

I ended up ordering a set of Speedtech AFX tall spindles with the road assault suspension for the front. I looked long and hard at the spindles and really appreciate that they use the Corvette C7 Hub assemblies as well as having a relocated steering arm mount position to improve Ackerman and brings bump steer numbers down to nearly zero.

In the rear, I ordered Global West parts. I preferred the GW rear upper adjustable tubular control arms and the aluminum lower rear control arms due to the spherical bearing system they use. I was looking for an aluminum setup with a rebuildable "johnny joint" (or similar) and this was as close as I found. As well, the axle housing "ears" are a little higher, so I needed something adjustable to compensate.

So, I will have to find out later how these will work together, but from my calculations it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:05 PM

Received some goodness from Strange Engineering:

Still waiting on parts from others...

Old 04-20-2018, 04:39 AM

Your 67 is going to be an awesome car, when done. Really like that you're using the 8L90E trans with that LT4.
The Following User Says Thank You to USAZR1 For This Useful Post:
out2kayak (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 09:41 AM

Dropped the front fenders, doors, hood, trunk lid, etc. off to Pro-Strip Indy yesterday (frame and main body are still here in my garage).

This was formerly Redi Strip Indy. The original owner sold the business.

http://www.redistripindy.com/

Will be interesting to see how everything turns out.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:29 AM

I like the direction this is heading in. This is a true SS car right?
Old 04-22-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo1367 View Post
I like the direction this is heading in. This is a true SS car right?
Thanks!

Yes, it is a real-deal SS (138) car that was ordered with factory AC, power steering, power brakes, 396/325HP and a TH400.

When I received her, the 396 had been swapped out for another not nearly close 396 and the TH400 had a big hole (~3") in the case. The 12 bolt had been swapped out for a 10 bolt.

The body is very solid with the only holes on the passenger's side front fender (bottom), the passengers side rear inner fender skirt (~1") and a few pin holes on the floor. The pass side had been hit in the rear quarter and that was replaced some time ago (a very bad job). The inner fender skirt had more wrinkles than... Well, something old.

Oh, and it had many mice living all throughout the car. Can't believe how much mouse poo I cleaned out.