Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 09-01-2017, 11:27 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I liked my lift "deep" in the shop I had down in Hailey -- it allowed me to use the front space for other cars etc when something was on the lift. The shop I have now at Thunderhill isn't deep enough for that -- so I have to put one car in the air and pull the other in under it. That kind of stuff drives me crazy -- it's just wasted effort - moving stuff to move other stuff..... not my MO.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:22 PM

If I was able to do a two post lift, I may do just that Greg, put it in front of the 14' door in the back of the shop that goes out to the back yard. This way I could still drive between it to get out back and that "back area" could become the shop\work area leaving the space behind the 9" door on right for parking as well as in between the lift and front 14' door.

Since I'm stuck with a drive on though, which I can't drive my RV or truck under...it'll have to go on the 9' door side. Hopefully though, the only thing that will go on that side will be something that is going on the lift to be worked on. I won't need to be parking anything else over there.

I understand completely though as in my current shop, I have to pull my RV out of the shop...just to get the lawnmower out to mow. **bangs head against desk**
Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM

I've been working on this for my new house I'm building as well. I've decided to park the biggest thing I plan to lift in my shop and place my lift based on what makes the most sense. In my case it will be my full size truck.

And yes, mine will be a two post lift. I'm no a yuppy.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:57 AM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
I've been working on this for my new house I'm building as well. I've decided to park the biggest thing I plan to lift in my shop and place my lift based on what makes the most sense. In my case it will be my full size truck.

And yes, mine will be a two post lift. I'm no a yuppy.
Im probably the Yuppy you are referring to. I'm 64 years old and hate getting down on my knees 4 times on a concrete floor to position a two post when I can just drive onto a 4 post. I also no longer build stuff myself because I want better stuff than I have the ability to build and I can afford to have better guys do it. I spent about the first 10 years of my adult life working on a large farm as a mechanic overhauling everything from pickups, Kenworths to Tomato harvesters. My lower back is shot from I assume lifting torque hubs off of tomato harvesters by hand instead of using a cherry picker like I should have. I used to love tearing into something. Now I'm starting to dread tearing into things because I end up having to load up on Advil because my back is killing me or my neck is killing me. Getting old sucks.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clill View Post
Im probably the Yuppy you are referring to. I'm 64 years old and hate getting down on my knees 4 times on a concrete floor to position a two post when I can just drive onto a 4 post. I also no longer build stuff myself because I want better stuff than I have the ability to build and I can afford to have better guys do it. I spent about the first 10 years of my adult life working on a large farm as a mechanic overhauling everything from pickups, Kenworths to Tomato harvesters. My lower back is shot from I assume lifting torque hubs off of tomato harvesters by hand instead of using a cherry picker like I should have. I used to love tearing into something. Now I'm starting to dread tearing into things because I end up having to load up on Advil because my back is killing me or my neck is killing me. Getting old sucks.
I thought "its not the age, its the mileage"?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 AM

I'm just poking fun. Do what suits you and tell everybody to kiss your ***.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:23 AM

Lance, if I were you, I'd not purchase anything until I could get over there after your in Sheetrock, and lay out the cables (using the dimensions you have) with a tape measure and a pencil, on the floor. Cut you some cardboard templates the same size as your feet on your two post lift, and spend some time moving them around until you figure out if it will work or not. Then order your lift accordingly...
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:28 PM

This is not the lift I'm looking to buy but I did spend quite a bit of time in the Shelby display at BJ last week watching these guys swap the suspension out on the Mustang on this setup.

I asked the workers if they preferred this setup vs a two post lift and they both said a two post makes this job easier. That said, they didn't seem to be having any trouble and I could see some advantages to the drive on ramps while doing this job.

The lift was very sturdy, not wiggle at all to it and the car was very secure on the two rolling jacks.

I looked at several of the rolling (or sliding) jack setups and they are pretty slick. They drop down to a 3" height and squeeze in pretty far making getting even a lowered car up on a lift no big deal. The company I'm looking at has wheels on their jacks which roll up along channels on the inside of the ramps which are very nice.

I also found some lengths of rope LED lights with a magnet every foot or so, VERY cool for lighting up under a car on a lift. The magnets let you point the light where it's needed pretty easily.

This is the lift at the top of my list right now.

https://advantagelifts.us/4-post-lif...Four-Post-Lift
Old 01-21-2018, 06:31 PM

Their rolling jack setup...

Old 01-22-2018, 09:26 PM

So Lance, how far away are you from West World?
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"