Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2017, 08:50 PM

Default Welding helmet

Ok what do you have for a welding helmet just curious looking for something with an auto shade.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 02-12-2017, 09:14 PM

I've used Miller,Lincoln,Astro,3m speed glass and Harbor freight. They all did the job just fine. I'd try to find one that is light weight if you'll be using it for hours on end.

The Speed glass was heavy and poorly made for the price to me.

The harbor freight was cheap in price,decent quality and never failed me. I used that as a cheap helmet when I was taking welding classes. But I'd use it at home no problem.

I use Miller elite at home now but the batteries die fast. I've tried different brand batteries and interstate last the longest in the helmet. I have 2 miller elites. One that's just for my tig welding and one for mig. I do this because the lens gets mig splatter on it and I got tired of changing lenses just to tig weld.

Hope this helps
Old 02-12-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-it View Post
I've used Miller,Lincoln,Astro,3m speed glass and Harbor freight. They all did the job just fine. I'd try to find one that is light weight if you'll be using it for hours on end.

The Speed glass was heavy and poorly made for the price to me.

The harbor freight was cheap in price,decent quality and never failed me. I used that as a cheap helmet when I was taking welding classes. But I'd use it at home no problem.

I use Miller elite at home now but the batteries die fast. I've tried different brand batteries and interstate last the longest in the helmet. I have 2 miller elites. One that's just for my tig welding and one for mig. I do this because the lens gets mig splatter on it and I got tired of changing lenses just to tig weld.

Hope this helps
Keep your head away from the sparks lol , shouldn't be that close ... I am a fabricator and do this all day . I have 3 miller's and love them 2 elite and 1 digital elite . I've found the batteries that last the longest are the same brand as what is repackaged and sold as miller battieries . Almost every weld supply shop sells the necessary parts for them . Brand new they can be had for a few hundred. Yes that's a Lil pricey for some people but, cmon it's your eyes fellas . They're fairly light weight . Come with a bag to protect your new helmet. Plus all kinds of funky design artwork on them . Mine are all inferno . Heck buy a miller and then hit up eBay you can even score the cool band which blows cool filtred air thru the helmet or the cool belt which is the filtered fresh air helmet. Keeping all fumes from entering your lungs .
Old 02-13-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
Keep your head away from the sparks lol , shouldn't be that close ....
Kind of can't avoid it welding overhead in tight areas. I typically weld a little hotter and keep spatter low. Hey but what's the fun in it if you don't have a hot spark go into your boot and in between your toes!!??
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM

I've used many over the years, loved my old Jackson, but when it died went to the Miller digital Elite. It's good except the head gear. They had several revisions and are on the 3rd. The latest head gear is okay, the first two absolutely suck. So if your buying used, be prepared to buy a new head gear for it.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm a hobbyist that may not know any better but my Hobart helmet has served me just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if there was better out there, but I really have no complaints about it for what I do.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 02-13-2017, 07:42 PM

Any good quality helmet will be your friend. I love my Miller Digital Elite. Little features like not dimming when you look outside really add value. Also, I love adding the reader inserts so you can see up close. I went from dreading my welds to enjoying it again. Very light helmet as well.
Hope that helps.

Scott
Old 02-14-2017, 07:21 AM

We are all going to have opinions. You really need to try them on. I have a Miller Elite, a Digital Elite, and a SpeedGlass 9100xxx and far and away I love the SpeedGlas the most.....It's the only one I still keep in the bag. The head gear is far better for my head than the Miller and I find the optics to be clearer as well.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 02-14-2017, 07:54 AM

I have a Miller elite and a Jackson. I use the Jackson the most. The interwebz speak very highly of that new 3M Speedglass but I have not had the opportunity to try one.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 PM

I have a Jackson W60 True Sight.....pretty good mouse trap IMO.