Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Ryobi 1+ line of tools

Is anyone using tools from Ryobi's 1+ line? I'm finally going to be a home owner soon which means I need lawn tools. I don't have a large lawn so I think an electric mower would be fine for me. I'm also interested in an electric blower for cleaning off the roof of pine straw. This had me looking at Ryobi's products since one type of battery works with all the different pieces they offer. I just wasn't sure of the quality or any other aspects I hadn't thought of. Obviously, these parts aren't commercial grade. Neither am I so I don't need DeWalt etc but I don't want to waste money either.

Thanks

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 09-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Most electric mowers motors are mounted on a plastic housing and will melt the plastic if overheated thus making the mower unusable. But times change and maybe they've improved?

Another thing with electric/ cordless mowers is that they are made for lawns that are being constantly mowed. So if you let your lawn get to high they'll struggle to mow the high grass. I wouldn't personally buy anything less then a commercial grade Honda. You'll see the difference.

I have craftsman cordless edger,blower and hedge Trimmer and love them all. I have a decent size yard and can do front and rear of my house with 3 to 4 batteries.

Buy the warranties if they have them and if the warranty makes sense to the cost of the tool over the warranty period. I had my edger go out within 3 years of the warranty and Sears fully refunded my entire purchase price and I bought an upgraded model with blower for the same price with another Warranty.

Not the same brand but just giving you an idea.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Thanks Ahmad. I appreciate the insight into running electric lawn tools. Truth be told, I've used an electric mower before but it was a corded unit. It worked well. I don't know offhand where I have outlets located around the house outside so I can't say for sure that would work for me. I certainly wouldn't be against a corded mower or blower if it would work for me.

Last edited by WSSix; 09-18-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:41 PM

Thumbs up

I bought a house last year, and did the same thing. Nearly all my yard equipment is Ryobi 1+ stuff. Love that I only need one battery to run them all. The weed eater/edger, & Jet Fan (leaf) Blower get the most use. I've only had one issue, the original hedge trimmer died after the first use. Home Depot exchanged it for a new one, which has work flawlessly since. I have a gas craftsman mower for the yard, it has been hard to beat for cost of entry and use.

I now have a growing assortment of Ryobi 1+ garage tools. Cordless stuff is much simpler to use.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 PM

Thanks John. I figured the one battery may come in handy for future tool purchases too. Do you feel like you get good use time out of the batteries in each tool, especially the blower?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Thanks John. I figured the one battery may come in handy for future tool purchases too. Do you feel like you get good use time out of the batteries in each tool, especially the blower?
Using the High Capacity battery, I can do my all my trimming (edging/weed eat) and majority of my blower work (depending on how wet the grass was). The regular batteries that come with the smaller tools do very well, but I would need approximately 1.5 to do the same work.

BTW.. I haven't used a broom outside since buying the blower

I have this one:
https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/p...jet-fan-blower

Last edited by WILWAXU; 09-19-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:15 AM

Thanks John. I figured I'd have to swap batteries part way through a job. My thoughts were that I'd have multiply ones from buying the different tools so it shouldn't be a big deal.