Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Wiring Options for 1969 Camaro

Just seeing if anyone has any recommendations on good wiring options for a first gen.

Currently I have the AAW Classic Update, but there are a few issues I've run into (not related to the quality of their kit). My car is far from stock, and doesn't use the factory fuse box location. In using the classic update and relocating the fuse box (behind glove box), and changing it up, I now have wires too short for drivers side and wires WAY to long for passenger side. It works but far from ideal and I want to re-do it and do it right.

So my options as I see it (and looking for more if anyone has any suggestions).

American Autowire Highway 22
This would allow me to put the fuse panel in the trunk, more easily accessible and closer to the main power source. It's a cost effective solution and similar functionality to stock.

Racepak Smartwire
PDM module and less need for relays/fuses/etc. Much cleaner installation, more costly than traditional wiring setup (like AAW or Painless). Cons include archaic software for programming it, and questionable/lack of much history for the reliability. If the module goes down, you'd be dead in the water. Too expensive to carry a spare module.

Motec PDM15/30
Most expensive and most advanced setup for car wiring. Cost is more than either other solution. Much like the Racepak, this needs no fuses or relays and controls it all through the module. Clean installation, good options for switches for things like headlights/etc, nice software for programming the module as well. Reliability imo is slightly better as I know several cars with this setup (more modern cars), and no issues. Same applies for the "dead in the water" issue. If the module does go down, you're 100% stuck unless you have a spare module. And at 2k+ for a module, you likely wont be having a spare...

Any other suggestions from you guys on cleaning up my wiring? I've looked at Infinity Box, but just dont trust the company right now with some issues I've seen on here as well as other sites.

Thanks,
William
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 01-21-2018, 02:56 PM

Why not just shorten and lengthen what you already have with the same color coded wires? I have a bunch of left over wires that I use just in case I'm splicing something into the kit so all wires match.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:09 PM

That is basically what I have dont already (aside from shortening wires, i just looped those). I'm OCD when it comes to looking right and being right. Even though I cant see it, it bugs me every time I drive the car knowing it's a mess back there.

Ultimately the most similar solution to what I have now would be moving the fuse panel to the trunk with the HWY 22 kit. fuses in the box where it's at are hard to change, leave no space in the glove box, etc. Just far from ideal.

Another goal with this change will be removing the push button/passive key, start setup I have. I'm definitely going back to a keyed ignition, will just be on the dash instead of the column as I already have a keyless column.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM

Thumbs up

Did you see the wire harness that Ridetech put into their new 48 hour Camaro (the 1971one). Saw in one of the videos they used a painless 10401 setup that had fuse panels in the dash and trunk. Pretty neat option. Here is their web link, it is the video below the day 6 one. http://www.ridetech.com/info/48hour-...ecc4a-92674406
Full of DSE and Holley parts

Last edited by 130fe; 01-21-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
That is basically what I have dont already (aside from shortening wires, i just looped those). I'm OCD when it comes to looking right and being right. Even though I cant see it, it bugs me every time I drive the car knowing it's a mess back there.

Ultimately the most similar solution to what I have now would be moving the fuse panel to the trunk with the HWY 22 kit. fuses in the box where it's at are hard to change, leave no space in the glove box, etc. Just far from ideal.

Another goal with this change will be removing the push button/passive key, start setup I have. I'm definitely going back to a keyed ignition, will just be on the dash instead of the column as I already have a keyless column.
why are you swapping out the push button system?

What about calling AAW and seeing if they will send you a Bulk wire kit to add into your current fuse box. Why change it all? just change the wires that you need.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 PM

THere is a lot that has been altered and changed. I didn't use the bulkhead either so it's all removed and spliced together. Just a headache and imo maybe best to start fresh with a universal kit as I see it.

Removing the push button as there is no easy way to kill it "quickly." It takes a few seconds to shut it off and as anyone with a big hp build knows you can do a lot of damage in a few seconds.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 01-21-2018, 11:48 PM

Another option would be creating your own harness using the Bussman fuse boxes. You will have to design it from scratch, but the versatility of the panels gives you lots of options.
https://www.delcity.net/store/ISO-28...IaAjziEALw_wcB

You can split them up between the front/middle/back of the car to cut down on some redundant wiring.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo View Post
Another option would be creating your own harness using the Bussman fuse boxes. You will have to design it from scratch, but the versatility of the panels gives you lots of options.
https://www.delcity.net/store/ISO-28...IaAjziEALw_wcB

You can split them up between the front/middle/back of the car to cut down on some redundant wiring.
That's an interesting idea. I'll dig into that a little more.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 PM

My two cents..,
Contact SCOTT HUGHES at American Autowire.
Tell him exactly what you told us.
He will solve your issue, he's an executive at AAW and a gearhead.
And yes, super good guy. But speak with SCOTT.
I do not know this for sure, but if you call now, they may be able to cut your wires to proper length in a classic update package.
And please let us know which direction you ultimately go.
Hang in there!
Old 01-22-2018, 01:10 PM

My two cents..,
Contact SCOTT HUGHES at American Autowire.
Tell him exactly what you told us.
He will solve your issue, he's an executive at AAW and a gearhead.
And yes, super good guy. But speak with SCOTT.
I do not know this for sure, but if you call now, they may be able to cut your wires to proper length in a classic update package.
And please let us know which direction you ultimately go.
Hang in there!