Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 10-03-2017, 01:40 PM

All Billet Specialties wheels are two piece, the centers are machined and welded into a hoop. That allows for a wide range of backspacing available and typically covers anything that a typical protouring car would need. 2 piece wheels are typically lighter than a similar sized 3 piece. 2 piece wheels can be rehooped as well if you were to ever bend one. It is not field serviceable like a 3 piece but it can be done.

Where the 3 piece wheel really shines is the ability to do half inch sizes, you are not married to an off the shelf hoop. Also the ability to do different finishes on the center, inner, and outer hoops can make for some cool finishes.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 PM

PM me with what your looking at and will shoot you some pricing.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM

I have a set of Billet Specialties Stiletto wheels on my 67 Camaro. It is a great wheel except for the excessive weld splatter on the back hoop areas. Makes it very difficult to polish. The splatter is visible when viewing the open areas between the spokes. I talked with Billet Specialties about the issue at a Goodguys event and they were not at all concerned. You might see if they have an option to clean the splatter and re-polish the back after welding. I would not purchase these wheels again without some quality control in this area.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
The BS wheels are a nice one piece forged wheel, finely polished and meant mainly for good looks...but still a strong wheel. When going this route you are limited to the sizes and specs they dictate. If you are on a budget and BS has a wheel that you like the look of and it fits your car, this is not a bad choice.

The Forgelines on teh otehr hand are a 3 piece wheel designed to be raced on first...and to look good while doing it. They are works of art for sure, but the real beauty of them is the ability to get exactly the fitment you need with the center you choose and the inner and outer hoops the size you need. Then, say like a friend of mine recently that had an incident that dinged an outer hoop...all one has to do is replace the outer hoop without having to buy a whole new wheel.

Performance wise, my car got WAY smoother when I put the Forgelines on. I just put my second set of tires on them and both times I had one wheel balance with zero weights at all and all of the others take very little weight to balance. When they slip on the hub, they fit perfectly onto the hub centric lip...which I'm certain helps with the smoothness of them too.

They cost more for sure, it's up to you if you want to spend the extra dough on the better wheel though.
If interested in 3-Pieces B-forged is Billet Specialties dedicated multi-piece wheel line. You can visit http://bit.ly/2sp0yp3 for more info.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:23 AM

Default Billet Specialties wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempstop View Post
I have a set of Billet Specialties Stiletto wheels on my 67 Camaro. It is a great wheel except for the excessive weld splatter on the back hoop areas. Makes it very difficult to polish. The splatter is visible when viewing the open areas between the spokes. I talked with Billet Specialties about the issue at a Goodguys event and they were not at all concerned. You might see if they have an option to clean the splatter and re-polish the back after welding. I would not purchase these wheels again without some quality control in this area.
In the construction of the wheel, in order to ensure proper weld and wheel strength, only the face of the wheel is shielded. The back-side of the wheel needs to remain open for welding purposes. For this reason, there is the potential to have weld splatter beyond the seam weld. Billet Specialties offers to polish the back-side of the rim / reverse polish for $50 per wheel. The labor and process is very intensive once the center is in place, hence the fee.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForgedWheels View Post
In the construction of the wheel, in order to ensure proper weld and wheel strength, only the face of the wheel is shielded. The back-side of the wheel needs to remain open for welding purposes. For this reason, there is the potential to have weld splatter beyond the seam weld. Billet Specialties offers to polish the back-side of the rim / reverse polish for $50 per wheel. The labor and process is very intensive once the center is in place, hence the fee.

That sounds like a **** deal to me, yalls wheels aint cheap to begin with. So for an extra $50 per wheel you can also get em without weld splatter? Hell i was gonna with y'alls wheels over forgelines.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:48 AM

I have Boze Forged on my '68 Camaro. They were built to my specs so they were not cheap, but a decent price for custom wheels. Forgeline's were my first choice but the pricetag was waaaaaay too far out of reach. I am sure you will be satisfied with any of the top brands and I couldn't be more happy with the Boze I went with for the quality, design and price. Good luck
Old 10-31-2017, 02:04 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Wow!! "Either pay us $50 per wheel extra to polish your inner hoops or we will not take off the weld splatter for the high price you've already paid. Oh, by the way...thanks for patronizing our business and choosing Billet Specialty Wheels. We realize you had a choice amid the plethora of wheel choices available on the market. So, with that in mind, we give you wheels with weld splatter because it's too much of a hassle for us to take off." I highly doubt Billet Specialties forewarn you about this before you spend a few thousand dollars and up on wheels. I've seen many Centerline, Intro, Boze and Budnik brand wheels and they didn't have weld splatter on their 2 piece wheels. I'm sure they did when they were built, but those companies cared enough to remove it. That's the difference. I think we all understand and are fully aware of the how and why the weld splatter is there. The key is the customer service that goes along with the sale. What a way to enter into the muti-piece wheel market Billet Specialties. That's a ripoff if you ask me.

Last edited by 214Chevy; 10-31-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:48 PM

error 404: outrage not found

If every member on this board snapped a picture of the backside of their two piece wheels, you could count on one hand how many are finished on the backside as good as the front side.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 10-31-2017, 06:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
error 404: outrage not found

If every member on this board snapped a picture of the backside of their two piece wheels, you could count on one hand how many are finished on the backside as good as the front side.
Donny, of course not as good as the front. I never made that assumption. But, as I previously stated, I've seen a many of the back of 2 piece wheels and didn't see weld splatter. Definitely not on Center Line and Intro's. Those two companies at least make a conscious effort to remove most of it as a customer service/quality assurance issue in my opinion. Now, I'm not saying that there's not a single speck on any wheel, just not a lot of bird poo so to speak. I'm just saying...