Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-21-2018, 03:56 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

I ran an aluminum Strange in my Nomad for years - LOTS of miles.... never replaced a ring gear or had any issues with it.

Running one in my Old Yellar track only car -- zero issues....
Old 01-21-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I ran an aluminum Strange in my Nomad for years - LOTS of miles.... never replaced a ring gear or had any issues with it.

Running one in my Old Yellar track only car -- zero issues....
Hi Greg, I am wondering if there is a difference between the brand name 3rd members, and some of the others?
Definitely reliability is one of my primary considerations
Thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 07:25 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
Hi Greg, I am wondering if there is a difference between the brand name 3rd members, and some of the others?
Definitely reliability is one of my primary considerations
Thanks

Both mine are Strange.... and the only issue I ever had was the pinion seal pushing out of the OY car.... a "positive" pinion seal piece was bolted on and that fixed that issue.

I will say -- unless you're building a "max effort" lightweight car -- there really is zero need to save the 10 #s' unless you're like me and just like this kind of stuff.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 PM

Mine is Moser. Greg is right the 10# is pointless unless you're chasing the last 0.1 second of laptime. If you could tell the difference in "ride quality" from the lighter axle I'd start checking for peas under the mattress.

Although just for the record - I don't think Greg's Nomad was pushing 700+ hp through 335 tires or saw any significant track time !
Old 01-21-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Both mine are Strange.... and the only issue I ever had was the pinion seal pushing out of the OY car.... a "positive" pinion seal piece was bolted on and that fixed that issue.

I will say -- unless you're building a "max effort" lightweight car -- there really is zero need to save the 10 #s' unless you're like me and just like this kind of stuff.
I do like fancy stuff, and the rear of the car does tend to cut loose in the corners, so I am thinking about putting the back end on a little bit of a diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Mine is Moser. Greg is right the 10# is pointless unless you're chasing the last 0.1 second of laptime. If you could tell the difference in "ride quality" from the lighter axle I'd start checking for peas under the mattress.

Although just for the record - I don't think Greg's Nomad was pushing 700+ hp through 335 tires or saw any significant track time !
I guess that is true enough, although if you are laying under the car on your back, wrestling the 3rd member into the hole, plus getting older like me, then the 10# lighter might just me the cat's ass
Old 01-26-2018, 12:17 AM

A little more progress on the steering, as I approach completion.
There was a little bit of looseness in the steering, so I took a bit of time to track it down.
I thought initially that it might have been the tilt column, but ended up being a rack adjustment. After reading the TCP adjustment process, I took to adjusting the pinion nut.
It was pretty easy. I just did not want to overdo it, so took it slow.
I think I am within a fraction of where I need to be, and have to say the steering feels absolutely amazing.
I wish that I would have added the TCP rack earlier. Honestly I just did not have it in the budget at the time, doing home renovation instead (LOL)

It's going to be quite a different feeling car when driving this year.

I ordered a kit for the air conditioning hoses, so I can make my own custom length hoses. That should come next week.

Next will be planning for the 6 speed swap. I'll have to redo the console and gauge display, which will be fun.

In a way it's good that the weather is crappy. I don't have to feel rushed. I think the 6 speed swap, other than the redesign of the console should be about the same amount of time to do, as the steering system
Old 01-29-2018, 12:24 AM

I think I might need a little advise on a couple things.

So with the change to the T56, I am going to need to remodel the trans tunnel, and my floor console.
So the custom floor console that I have has a ton of wiring in it along with gauges. Right now I have multiple connector and plugs to accommodate. I'd like to change that to a larger harness type connector/plug that will cover all the wires. I probably have 30-40 wires going to the console at least.

The second thing, is that I was thinking of changing the head unit. Right now I have an alpine DVD with a pop out screen, and a plug for the Ipod. So maybe time to change that to a bluetooth unit that will link to our phones and it'd also be nice to have a built in backup camera.

Any ideas? (thanks )
Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 AM

Thanked 1,566 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
I think I might need a little advise on a couple things.

So the custom floor console that I have has a ton of wiring in it along with gauges. Right now I have multiple connector and plugs to accommodate. I'd like to change that to a larger harness type connector/plug that will cover all the wires. I probably have 30-40 wires going to the console at least.
Sounds like you need a Cannon Connector and Wire Care is a good source for everything you need wiring. (( www.wirecare.com ))

Cannon Connector Links

www.ittcannon.com

https://www.ittcannon.com/product-families/circular/

As for Radio I really don't use one. I have the Kicker Interface that I can use an iPad or iPhone with it. You could also get the app with the back up camera module that sinks with your phone.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Sounds like you need a Cannon Connector and Wire Care is a good source for everything you need wiring. (( www.wirecare.com ))

Cannon Connector Links

www.ittcannon.com

https://www.ittcannon.com/product-families/circular/

As for Radio I really don't use one. I have the Kicker Interface that I can use an iPad or iPhone with it. You could also get the app with the back up camera module that sinks with your phone.
Awesome, thanks a lot!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:45 PM

Thanked 1,566 Times in 851 Posts

Quote:
Awesome, thanks a lot!
anytime and I am glad I could help

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale