Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
How many of you market mavens have gotten so that you're not so itchy fingered anymore -- and actually have finally gotten a grip on buy and hold and collect the dividends???? Not nearly as scary as it used to be huh -- once you have some nice fat gains in your accounts. Now you'll see that when you have a 20 or 25 or 40% gain on your holdings -- you don't really care if the market goes down 10% --- but you will have had to have owned for a bit to get to this point. It's sweet once you do though!

**raises hand**

I haven't made a trade in a long time other than just reinvesting dividends and I'm not worried or itchy about anything...not even the Target my wife owns that has taking a beating lately.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
**raises hand**

I haven't made a trade in a long time other than just reinvesting dividends and I'm not worried or itchy about anything...not even the Target my wife owns that has taking a beating lately.

Oh we all have "those"....... but the way I look at things -- I see ALL of my net worth as a giant collection of "stuff". Some of the stuff works some of the time and some of the stuff sucks.... but in the end -- is my overall net worth rising or falling. I just have to hit about 5 or 6 out of 10 to cover my mistakes (most of the time).
Old 03-17-2017, 12:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
How many of you market mavens have gotten so that you're not so itchy fingered anymore -- and actually have finally gotten a grip on buy and hold and collect the dividends???? Not nearly as scary as it used to be huh -- once you have some nice fat gains in your accounts. Now you'll see that when you have a 20 or 25 or 40% gain on your holdings -- you don't really care if the market goes down 10% --- but you will have had to have owned for a bit to get to this point. It's sweet once you do though!
Investing 102 has done well for me. Not sure I had a "net" worth before this thread.. more like I was in the hole

Using Dave Ramsey's snowball principles, and the stuff discussed here, I now have a significant amount in retirement assets. Not to mention many other 'buckets' of money working for me Good stuff!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:14 PM

Good job, John! Congrats. I'm glad you've been able to get something from this thread as well.

I've just been hanging out for the most part. I have decided to take a gamble on a few more potentially volatile stocks. Nothing major just something I hope pays off in the long run. I'm thinking of ditching one that I'm honestly not sure will ever rebound and picking up Visa. I see us moving more and more towards a cashless society. I'd like to believe Visa and Master Card are poised to take advantage of that situation.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-17-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
Investing 102 has done well for me. Not sure I had a "net" worth before this thread.. more like I was in the hole

Using Dave Ramsey's snowball principles, and the stuff discussed here, I now have a significant amount in retirement assets. Not to mention many other 'buckets' of money working for me Good stuff!

So good to hear!!! OMG you have no idea how happy stuff like this makes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Good job, John! Congrats. I'm glad you've been able to get something from this thread as well.

I've just been hanging out for the most part. I have decided to take a gamble on a few more potentially volatile stocks. Nothing major just something I hope pays off in the long run. I'm thinking of ditching one that I'm honestly not sure will ever rebound and picking up Visa. I see us moving more and more towards a cashless society. I'd like to believe Visa and Master Card are poised to take advantage of that situation.

Good thinking!

RE: Picking up "flyers" --- I bought 5000 shares of GOOSE (GOOS) this morning. We'll see if it's IPO can hold on to the gains. Sometime you MUST buy these kinds of stocks because they can be spectacular --- or they can ruin your return.... LOL
Old 03-23-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
RE: Picking up "flyers" --- I bought 5000 shares of GOOSE (GOOS) this morning. We'll see if it's IPO can hold on to the gains. Sometime you MUST buy these kinds of stocks because they can be spectacular --- or they can ruin your return.... LOL

I should have put in the "newbie" asterisk -- that taking fliers on IPO's is for idiots and gamblers..... NORMALLY I'd advise you to wait for 1 or 2 quarters of reporting earnings before I'd step in front of the train. But I can afford to take these teeny fliers once in awhile. Sometimes they work - most times they don't.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Sometimes they work - most times they don't.
So true. I picked up some SNAP last week at $19.10 then bailed out this morning. For some reason I don't feel very good on short term "risky" investments. I am going to stick to the Greg Weld dividend method moving forward.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
**raises hand**

Oh we all have "those"....... but the way I look at things -- I see ALL of my net worth as a giant collection of "stuff". Some of the stuff works some of the time and some of the stuff sucks.... but in the end -- is my overall net worth rising or falling. I just have to hit about 5 or 6 out of 10 to cover my mistakes (most of the time).

There is a poster over on Seeking Alpha whose handle is "BuyAndHold". He claims to have never sold a stock. Of course he is not running around buying small caps either but doing due diligence and buying the same types of companies Weld approves of for 101. Said sure he's had a few stocks go to zero over the years but his winners always beat his losers. So many stories of people who sold only to see the stock go up later. They say the hardest decision isn't when to buy its when to sell. Well he has that one figured out I guess !
else.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:53 PM

Sold all my UP positions at a profit of 13.62% thanks to the wisdom of Mr. Greg Weld. I'm using the money to build my house. I kept the two down positions as I won't lose money if I can help it. They are both solid long term positions so I'll wait.

If it wasn't for the house, I would've stayed in long term. I hope to be in position to invest in the next cycle.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Since we're on the topic of buying and selling has anybody been buying weed stocks? Weld you have mentioned to invest in what you are aware of. What companies were behind your treatment? I've been buying some, I'm not going to miss out on this if it continues which I think it will. I did a lot of research before buying and now I hope I'm right