Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Interior and Electrical
User Name
Password

Old 09-26-2017, 07:01 PM

Default trunk mounted battery question

You guys with an LS swap that moved the battery to the trunk, Did you install the original purple ignition wire (GM applications) and the new wire from the new Ford type solenoid on the "s" terminal of the starter ?? Meaning you have 2 wires on the "s" terminal. If yes, I always thought 2 solenoids on the same circuit was a no no.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:42 PM

Hooked everything like stock except for the wire going to the front of the car to the battery went to the rear of the car. Obviously a bigger gauge and bulk head. Zero issues
Old 09-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
Hooked everything like stock except for the wire going to the front of the car to the battery went to the rear of the car. Obviously a bigger gauge and bulk head. Zero issues
Thanks Randy. I figured it would be easier to run the original purple wire to the original solenoid and run another wire from this same "S" terminal on the starter to the solenoid in the trunk.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:10 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

For what its worth all new GM cars with a trunk mounted battery (CTS, XTS, ATS, Corvette, ect) don't have any bulkheads, fused connections, or solenoids to kill power to the starter cable from front to rear. They have one battery cable that runs to the front fuse block and then splits off to the starter, alternator, and fuse blocks.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:03 AM

To answer your question, the answer is yes. Being that I have an actual Ford (sort of), I kept the Ford-type solenoid under the hood. I've run tons of wires off of the S-terminal in the past, but yes, for both Fox-body type 5.0s and the LS, you need two different wires going to the starter (for the Gen IV LS, the stupid connector is very specific). It is redundant having the Ford solenoid, but it's a convenient thing to have, anyway . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
You guys with an LS swap that moved the battery to the trunk, Did you install the original purple ignition wire (GM applications) and the new wire from the new Ford type solenoid on the "s" terminal of the starter ?? Meaning you have 2 wires on the "s" terminal. If yes, I always thought 2 solenoids on the same circuit was a no no.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
For what its worth all new GM cars with a trunk mounted battery (CTS, XTS, ATS, Corvette, ect) don't have any bulkheads, fused connections, or solenoids to kill power to the starter cable from front to rear. They have one battery cable that runs to the front fuse block and then splits off to the starter, alternator, and fuse blocks.
I hear what you are saying. GM designers have been wrong before. The new cars have been designed this way with big money to support R&D. Also Special cable holders and loom are used as well. Again, I understand what you are saying.

Last edited by DT69Cam; 09-29-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:53 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT69Cam View Post
. Special cable holders and loom are used as well.
I wouldn't go that far lol. Also on the note of cables I know its considered a no no if you search for it on here, but on the 08-09ish Cadillac CTS's they use 0/0 welding cable on the ground side. Its printed right on the cable.