Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Default 69 Camaro Steering Upgrade

I'm in the process to convert my beloved 69 SS Camaro to EFI which will be my project for this year. Next year is suspension particularly the steering. I have power steering but it feels sloppy to me. I installed Global One A-Arms a few years beck and replaced the tie rod ends at that time. I know I need to to replace my pitman arm. My car sits 2" lowered.

I've thought about upgradeing to rack and pinion and would like some advise if anyone has any expiriance with rack and pinion. Which brands and what cost are involved? Would it be worth the upgrade or stick with my stock components? Would a 500 series steering box be worth using instead of converting and what advantage is that over a stock power steering box?

Thanks guys
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 AM

Most, if not all rack conversions suffer from poor geometry. Get yourself a 600 steering box from Tru-Turn or one of the other vendors that sell them.

Don
Old 08-04-2017, 06:21 PM

Thanks, I'll check them out
Old 08-11-2017, 07:05 PM

I agree. Find a good firm feel box, they are way more reliable than a rack. If you can't give up the idea of a rack, then go to a subframe made for a rack, not a stock one. With an aftermarket sub they use a Mustang II rack, which is slower (15: 1 or 20: 1 ratio) than a Saginaw PS box at 12:1, so you end up with a bit less lash in the system, but the steering is slow and NOT firm feel.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 AM

I've got the jeep cherokee gear box in my 69 Nova, bolts in, quick ratio and a good budget upgrade
Old 08-30-2017, 01:43 PM

I installed an upgraded steering box from "Turn One" and it is 2 1/4 turns lock to lock and also eliminated the rag joint with a stainless steel universal joint from Borgeson. My car is a 69 Firebird convertible lowered 2" with DSE suspension all around, lowered 2".

Tim john---
Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john--- View Post
I installed an upgraded steering box from "Turn One" and it is 2 1/4 turns lock to lock and also eliminated the rag joint with a stainless steel universal joint from Borgeson. My car is a 69 Firebird convertible lowered 2" with DSE suspension all around, lowered 2".

Tim john---
But how does it feel? I’m looking for something that feels more up to date. I’ve even considered a Chris Allston, TCI, ETC., front clip but I’d like to find someone
has one on their car and how they feel about before I would spend that much money.

Another annoying problem I have is the car doesn’t have a very tight turning radius.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:24 PM

I have a 69 and I sent my stock power steering box to Chip at powersteering.com near Springfield, MO. They rebuilt it and changed the ratio to 12.7:1. Night and day difference. For full disclosure, I have have all Ridetech suspension but don’t have rack and I love the way it steers and handles. The great thing about having Chip gut it is that you know it will fit with your current setup. No guessing if a new box will work with your current headers.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeWest View Post
I have a 69 and I sent my stock power steering box to Chip at powersteering.com near Springfield, MO. They rebuilt it and changed the ratio to 12.7:1. Night and day difference. For full disclosure, I have have all Ridetech suspension but don’t have rack and I love the way it steers and handles. The great thing about having Chip gut it is that you know it will fit with your current setup. No guessing if a new box will work with your current headers.
That’s good information, I’m going to contact Chip this week and get a quote.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNova View Post
I've got the jeep cherokee gear box in my 69 Nova, bolts in, quick ratio and a good budget upgrade
Agreed! I have a '96 JGC box in my '69 Camaro, I love the improvement. Did lots of other suspension/front-end mods, but the JGC box was a $45 expirment that paid off in spades. It's not quite an IROC box, but it's a 300% improvement over the original factory power steering box. It's tight, responsive, and quick enough for me... no more wallowing in turns or nibbling on highways.