Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 11-25-2015, 09:02 AM

Talking UMI Releases New Product: Bolt In Rear Coilover for the 1964-1972 GM A-Body

Bolt in Rear Coilover Kit with Control Arm Relocation for the 1964-1972 GM A-Body
P/N 4057-110, 4057-125, 4057-150
Priced at $849.99/set

UMI Performance, Inc. is pleased to announce the availability of our new P/N 4057 A-body rear coilover/control arm relocation kit. This 100% bolt-in kit uses UMI designed and manufactured brackets to provide both coilover attachment and lower control arm relocation. UMI’s laser cut brackets are JIG assembled and MIG welded to ensure a great fit and race-proven quality. The lower bracket features a double shear mount for reliability while the upper bracket reinforces the shock mount area. The 2-hole trailing arm adjustment enables fine tuning of instant center location for drag launch or auto-x/road race rear steer tuning. The 4057 brackets capture a Viking double adjustable coilover specific shock and a 150, 125 or 110 lb/in spring. We recommend 150 for auto-x and corner carving, 125 for general cruising and 110 for drag specific usage. Upgrades include Crusader Pro-Tour or Drag specific valvings as well as an optional shock tower reinforcement brace (P/N 4058-4059). UMI’s coilover brackets are also available separately in order to source your own spring and shock. This kit is generally used for 1-3” lowering from factory location and does not make any permanent changes to your axle housing or chassis. All UMI products are manufactured tested and raced out of Philipsburg, PA and always use US materials.

Website Link Here

Old 11-26-2015, 09:14 AM

Here's a few installation pictures of our new bolt in rear coilover kit that features control arm relocation. Kit works best for 1-3" lowering, although if stock height is desired we can substitute for a longer shock. Also you'll see some good pictures of our rear shock tower brace installed.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:26 AM

Awesome...I was looking at the Viking setup for the rear to match my fronts with umi control arms and you guys took it to the next level....hope to be on the shipment list soon
Old 08-04-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
Bolt in Rear Coilover Kit with Control Arm Relocation for the 1964-1972 GM A-Body
P/N 4057-110, 4057-125, 4057-150
Priced at $849.99/set

UMI Performance, Inc. is pleased to announce the availability of our new P/N 4057 A-body rear coilover/control arm relocation kit. This 100% bolt-in kit uses UMI designed and manufactured brackets to provide both coilover attachment and lower control arm relocation. UMI’s laser cut brackets are JIG assembled and MIG welded to ensure a great fit and race-proven quality. The lower bracket features a double shear mount for reliability while the upper bracket reinforces the shock mount area. The 2-hole trailing arm adjustment enables fine tuning of instant center location for drag launch or auto-x/road race rear steer tuning. The 4057 brackets capture a Viking double adjustable coilover specific shock and a 150, 125 or 110 lb/in spring. We recommend 150 for auto-x and corner carving, 125 for general cruising and 110 for drag specific usage. Upgrades include Crusader Pro-Tour or Drag specific valvings as well as an optional shock tower reinforcement brace (P/N 4058-4059). UMI’s coilover brackets are also available separately in order to source your own spring and shock. This kit is generally used for 1-3” lowering from factory location and does not make any permanent changes to your axle housing or chassis. All UMI products are manufactured tested and raced out of Philipsburg, PA and always use US materials.

Website Link Here

With this kit, am I able to run 20x12 with 325-335 tire?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy70 View Post
With this kit, am I able to run 20x12 with 325-335 tire?
This is a tough question with out trying. I am going to say yes most likely but depending on back spacing I wouldn't be certain.

With the wheels on the car you could e-mail us some pictures and we could know by that as well.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
This is a tough question with out trying. I am going to say yes most likely but depending on back spacing I wouldn't be certain.

With the wheels on the car you could e-mail us some pictures and we could know by that as well.

Thanks!
I am very interested in how wide of a tire I can run with this kit on a '67.

Right now I'm staring down putting in mini tubs from ABC Performance to get a 325 - 335 tire in. If it's possible with this kit, it would save me work.

If you can answer either way, I'd be interested.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:28 AM

The LeMans happened to be on the lift this morning.

If you look at post 2 above, you can see there is a ton of room between the bracket and the tire. I verified with my own eyes and know for sure that a 335 would fit with plenty of room to spare.

ramey

Last edited by UMI Tech; 08-09-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Ramey,

I see there are three locations for the LCA to mount at the rear end. Can you elaborate on that please?

Andrew
Old 08-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Ramey,

I see there are three locations for the LCA to mount at the rear end. Can you elaborate on that please?

Andrew
Certainly.

We always have the factory attachment point available. As you lower the car, the trailing arm can start to point uphill toward the rear. The top hole in our bracket allows you to get that arm back to a slight downward angle toward the rear. If you go super low, you can use the next hole to restore that angle. That's the simple explanation.

In side view, you can process the angles of the arms and come up with an instant center point somewhere in the front of the car (or within the confines of the interior). Simply a point in space. Knowing where you want that point in space is a big advantage and therefore having factory plus three options to tune that location is popular. Our brackets allow you to do that.

Without going into too much analysis at the moment, lowering the trailing arm normally improves forward traction but sometimes at the expense of a few other things like brake hop and excess roll steer...

ramey
Old 08-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post

Without going into too much analysis at the moment, lowering the trailing arm normally improves forward traction but sometimes at the expense of a few other things like brake hop and excess roll steer...

ramey
So basically this allow you to tune the anti-squat properties...

Andrew