Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-09-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
So basically this allow you to tune the anti-squat properties...

Andrew
Haha, that's it exactly.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Ramey,

Another question if you don't mind...

Do the shocks themselves act as travel limiters in rebound? Can they handle that?

Andrew
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM

They aren't supposed to under normal circumstances. With that being said, the occasional high grip auto-x car can get out of sequence enough to lift an inside rear tire by topping out the shock. It doesn't seem to hurt anything when done on occasion. Each manufacturer has a different philosophy and I know some shocks are more delicate than others.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
.....Each manufacturer has a different philosophy and I know some shocks are more delicate than others.
That's why I was asking...I know the stock suspension uses the shocks as travel stops and to keep the springs in place. Obviously this isn't a concern with coilovers, but I know some shock manufacturer explicitly state that bottoming the shock in compression or rebound will kill it in short order...

Would spring selection be better done by knowing the rear weight balance?

Andrew
Old 08-09-2017, 04:25 PM

When designing a coil for the A-body for instance, we know some of the general parameters and don't deviate much from tried and true situations. For example, 130 lb/in works pretty nice. I can work in the 100 lb range safely and the 150 lb range safely. Beyond those numbers takes different tuning and balancing. Same goes for stroke lengths on the shocks. We follow the 60/40 rule where we like to have the shock shaft between 40 and 60% of its travel at ride height. Too much one way and we top or bottom the shock out. We also want to stay in normal situations like aprrox 5" stroke. 4 is a little low. 3 is really low. Extension is a little more forgiving where we can use 6-7 ish.

All of our stuff comes from driving, trying, re driving, re trying, racing, driving, testing then releasing product. Usually its' good, sometimes even the best plans need tweaked...

ramey
Old 08-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
When designing a coil for the A-body for instance, we know some of the general parameters and don't deviate much from tried and true situations. For example, 130 lb/in works pretty nice. I can work in the 100 lb range safely and the 150 lb range safely. Beyond those numbers takes different tuning and balancing. Same goes for stroke lengths on the shocks. We follow the 60/40 rule where we like to have the shock shaft between 40 and 60% of its travel at ride height. Too much one way and we top or bottom the shock out. We also want to stay in normal situations like aprrox 5" stroke. 4 is a little low. 3 is really low. Extension is a little more forgiving where we can use 6-7 ish.

All of our stuff comes from driving, trying, re driving, re trying, racing, driving, testing then releasing product. Usually its' good, sometimes even the best plans need tweaked...

ramey
Thanks!

Andrew