Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2021, 10:41 PM

It's interesting, when I was in peak shape I ate extremely clean and I recall thinking, this is it? It's only been a few years, but when I look back at my body transformation and the ridiculous athletic feats, it's very apparent. The truth is that diet makes a gigantic difference. It just becomes our new normal. I can tell you this, when I stray a little too far, I feel it big time!

You nailed it, eating clean is WORK. It's simple in theory, but far harder to pull off. I'd buy pre-cooked chicken at whole foods and frozen veggies to make it easier on myself back in those days. I knew prep would get in my way.

I do believe that a reasonable diet and moderate exercise program is all that is needed to feel well physically. It's emotional health that is the white elephant in the room that is often at the core of why people don't feel well habitually. I'm now a professional business coach and the most fulfilling work is watching my clients change personally. Their substance. How they treat themselves and perceive life. The result is a more abundant business.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:51 PM

So it's been a minute since my last health update here, sitting on the couch watching the All Star race with some time on my hands so I thought I'd give you all an update.

Coming up on 2 years now being a member of the gym and still loving it. I have transitioned from just working out on the 3rd floor (weights and machines) to now spending most of my time on the 2nd floor in classes. Lifetime has what they call the "Aurora Club" which is geared toward older participants but is still open to any member. We've found an instructor teaching several of these classes that we really like and have been hitting her classes regularly for about 4 or 5 months. 360 is an all around strength building class and is followed by mat Pilates, we do these classes twice a week. We've also been doing a spin class once a week for a couple months...that's been interesting. And lately we've added in an enBarre class once a week.

What I've found is I've got the upper body and lower body strength where I'm pretty happy but my core still needs work. Particularly my hips... The Pilates has shown me the issues I've apparently ALWAYS had with my hips but never really understood what was going on. It's been interesting watching them improve as well as my core strength and flexibility improving on this newest part of the fitness journey.

I never EVER thought I'd be a "gym class" guy but here I am and to be honest, I'm really enjoying them and look forward to my time at the gym in them. I'm holding a steady 160# where I've been for a couple years now, Visceral fat is holding around 3 and Body fat hovers around 11%. I haven't checked my blood work in over a year but the last time it was still in the ranges listed above as well so I'm sure they haven't changed much if at all.

We've refined our diet a bit more as well. Still mostly gluten and sugar free but the biggest change has been the use of the "Bobby Approved" app on everything we buy. It's been a huge help and really makes the process of deciding what is junk and what isn't. If you haven't checked it out, it's worth a try. We've helped several friends and family members get started using it and they are all eating "cleaner" now with it's help.

Anyway, there's your update. I'm feeling better than I can ever remember feeling (and I'm now 56 years old) and really feel like I could never go back to the lifestyle we were leading before all this started. I just wish more people could figure out just how much just changing your diet can do for one's overall health and wellness. That's the hard part now...not being "that guy" that pushes the lifestyle we choose to live on others, but I see SO MANY people that have no idea just how much better they could feel with just a few small changes.

Oh yeah, I also had to re-corner balance the car to compensate for the lighter driver in the driver's seat which is also a big plus!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
68454RS (05-22-2023), Goosesdad (05-23-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 09:20 PM

Glad to hear you are doing well! It sounds like you have created some great habits in your life. That's not easy to do at 56!

At 46, I'm more sensitive to diet, sleep, social, and exercise changes than 10 years ago. Perhaps, part of it is awareness. I've worked so hard on performing at a high level that I have high expectations these days.

You nailed it, health and life can change very quickly. It comes down to motivation.

You're making me ponder whether it's time to get back in some type of group fitness environment. Enjoyment is really one of the keys to fitness.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
You nailed it, health and life can change very quickly. It comes down to motivation.

You're making me ponder whether it's time to get back in some type of group fitness environment. Enjoyment is really one of the keys to fitness.
I have found over the past 16 years (I started focusing on fitness at 50 years old and 230 lbs) there are 2 things that keep me active and staying fit.

1. The fitness activity is something enjoyable
2. Achievable goals that are specific and measurable.

I don't do the Gym thing, but the social aspect of that can certainly be enjoyable for some. For me I ride my bike and I get both social and physical benefit. At 66 and 180 lbs, I'm in better shape than I was at 50 and still doing ultra-distance races. I do some weights at home sometimes too, but it's sporadic because...... I don't enjoy it!

Last edited by srode1; 05-23-2023 at 11:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to srode1 For This Useful Post:
Vegas69 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 04:24 PM

There is something about being in a class and watching a lady in her 70s do something that you can't that is pretty motivating for me. The instructor also has to be the right fit for you for it to work. I know when we've had substitute instructors its not the same for me anyway.

I'll give one example of an exercise I could not do when I started these classes. Laying flat on my back, legs together, straight, also flat on the floor, raising myself up to a sitting position. I'd watch these older ladies do this like it was nothing and no way could I even get close.

Turns out it wasn't weak abs that were my issue, it was my hips. Instructor had me spread my legs out and try...boom, raised right up. Ever since then I've been working on building strength and flexibility in my hips and I can now perform this move fairly easily as long as it's early in my workout. As my hip flexors get tired, it gets much harder.

The instructor is also very good and pronouncing proper posture at all times and this is also an area that I was really bad at...forever. Now, whenever I catch myself slouching, no matter where I'm at, I instantly rise up, super tall and stick my chest out. Recently I drove an RV to Spokane, WA...13.5 hours one day, 9.5 hours the next. In the past this would have tore me up for days... This time I got out of the RV after the second day and went for a long walk, feeling great.

I've learned having proper form, posture and angles while working out is super important if you want to work all muscle groups evenly, properly and safely. Having an example to follow in a class that also keeps you honest is a great way to accomplish this.

Again, never EVER thought I'd be "that guy"...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
srode1 (05-25-2023), Vegas69 (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:01 PM

Very motivating fellas! Now that I'm in my mid-forties and spent much of my 30's and early 40's achieving, grinding, and staying very fit for the most part, I've let myself slide some on my fitness and physique. I'm very aware of it. I'm more content and comfortable. However, I know that my level of fitness shows up everywhere else in my life. I'm sure I'll find the motivation to get back in better shape soon.

I agree with the specific and measurable goals. Also, newness is key for me.