User Name
Password

Old 04-29-2017, 02:57 PM

that is clean!!! Awesome
Old 04-30-2017, 05:42 AM

Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
A little disclaimer first. This thing will probably never see so much as a dirt road, much less trails (just like 99% of the giant 4x4s on the road) which is a shame 'cause even bone stock they are very capable.

Our '79 came factory with power steering and it is all mechanically fresh so for steering, we are sticking with it. If it was manual, I would be looking into one of the FJ60 conversions. I've read over on the IH8Mud forum that some have even adapted S10 boxes.

Suspension wise, wanted to keep the semi-factory look so no 4 links or 3 links. I talked to the guys at FJ Company while I was at SEMA and they use OME (OldManEmu) on most all their builds. I bought the 2.5" kit with the Nitro shocks. I definitely did not want more lift, she has to get a running start to get in it as it is... The OME is supposed to have the best ride you can get from leafs and you get poly bushings in everything along with greasable joints. The install was pretty straightforward and the parts seem high quality.

I have not driven it yet with the new parts, waiting on the carb to come back from rebuild (due today I hope!!)
This is PERFECT Jeff, exactly what my plan was and wanted to see what you were doing for suspension. I've also decided to go Manual with an H55 and likely a 60 TC ... just need to find this stuff.

Are you going disc rear, and if so what kit did you use ?
Also, what are your plans for an EFI tank ?

Keep the pics coming !

Thanks
Steve
1966 FJ40 R2.8 -SOLD
911 Hotrod - SOLD
2002 Gated 360
Next up - "Killer Piggy"
Old 04-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheck44 View Post
This is PERFECT Jeff, exactly what my plan was and wanted to see what you were doing for suspension. I've also decided to go Manual with an H55 and likely a 60 TC ... just need to find this stuff.

Are you going disc rear, and if so what kit did you use ?
Also, what are your plans for an EFI tank ?

Keep the pics coming !

Thanks
Steve
I do plan rear disc when I do the LS. I'm lucky once again that mine is a '79 because that got me factory power front disc brakes. I'm looking at something like the JT Outfiiters kit Rear Disc Kit Here. It does not have provisions for an emergency brake but mine has the separate mid-mounted drum for that. I understand that there is a Cadillac caliper you can substitute that does have the provision if yours doesn't have the mid-drum or if you are changing transfer cases.

If it didn't already have front disc, I would have just done all Wilwood. Not for the flash, you cant even see any of it, but because I've used their stuff on several projects and like it. Bang for buck.

Fuel system has not been decided. I don't want to run an external pump but sometimes you work with what is there. Here is where '79 was not so bueno, it has a specific tank design. There are no replacements available. It also has a really funky shape that looks like a jelly bean someone stepped on in army boots. I am not sure yet if there is a place to retro one of the drop ins (Holley/Aeromotive) and get it to seal. Some of the new scavenger socks I've seen give me hope though on getting it to pick up fuel if I can find flat real estate to mount the top ring. The though of having to "make" a flat spot on top of the tank is not appealing, but is doable. If I have to go that far, I might as well weld in a factory GM ring and go OE. I have the tank and pump from the Camaro donor.
All else fails, we know we can use an external pump. Tried and true.

Please feel free to discuss your plans and thoughts!! I wanted this to be an open thread to all FJ builds. (all two of them... )

Jeff-
Old 05-01-2017, 05:31 PM

Ok .. so how about tranny and transfer case, this is what I've been agonizing over lately. Go 5 spd or auto ??? and then which transfer case ... 1980 to 1990 FJ60 TC are the ones to go with but soooo hard to find.

Oh and btw ... have you seen the new HDX gauges from DD !!??

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...od/prd1062.htm

Matt at Classic Bow Ties is a huge TLC fan and is doing some VERY good deals, ordering my gauges from him shortly

Cheers
Steve
1966 FJ40 R2.8 -SOLD
911 Hotrod - SOLD
2002 Gated 360
Next up - "Killer Piggy"

Last edited by Sheck44; 05-01-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Ok .. so how about tranny and transfer case, this is what I've been agonizing over lately. Go 5 spd or auto ??? and then which transfer case ... 1980 to 1990 FJ60 TC are the ones to go with but soooo hard to find.

Oh and btw ... have you seen the new HDX gauges from DD !!??

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...od/prd1062.htm

Matt at Classic Bow Ties is a huge TLC fan and is doing some VERY good deals, ordering my gauges from him shortly

Cheers
Steve
We're doing the 6L80 that came with our L99 pullout (wife definitely wanted auto, no discussion). Sticking with the stock Toyota transfer case for now, if it starts acting up I will probably do the Orion upgrade from Advance.

We are definitely doing the HDX. And Vintage Air. Waiting on the LS swap this coming winter to change all that stuff. That is good to know about Matt and FJs, I've bought from them on other projects and always top notch. Of course he is having a big sale right now, we just dropped money on our LS!... but I'm sure he'll have another big sale between now and the end of the year.

I'm looking at Advance Adapters for most of my conversion stuff, they are just about a one-stop shop. Have you looked at any conversion stuff?

Jeff-
Old 05-02-2017, 05:23 AM

Default exact

Jeff ... our builds are almost exactly the same, I'm doing a 4L80e, TC still to be decided, my gas tank is going in the rear and considering a Tank's Inc with custom straps /install of course needed, all my swap stuff will also come from AA including the motor mounts, going Vintage Air AC as well ...

Matt is calling me today to discuss all the options/accessories that Dakota Digital has to offer with the new VHX dash and LS swap ... so much to decide but wow is their stuff ever slick.

Steve
1966 FJ40 R2.8 -SOLD
911 Hotrod - SOLD
2002 Gated 360
Next up - "Killer Piggy"
Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Jeff ... our builds are almost exactly the same, I'm doing a 4L80e, TC still to be decided, my gas tank is going in the rear and considering a Tank's Inc with custom straps /install of course needed, all my swap stuff will also come from AA including the motor mounts, going Vintage Air AC as well ...

Matt is calling me today to discuss all the options/accessories that Dakota Digital has to offer with the new VHX dash and LS swap ... so much to decide but wow is their stuff ever slick.

Steve
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after your confab with Matt on that HDX. Especially how the speedo works and the gear selector display for our autos, how it gets it's signal.

I'm planning on using the new Lokar shifter they debuted at SEMA. Has a side gate for the manual shift option and we can get a 16" stick so with a black knob, it will resemble a stock FJ setup.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:50 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after your confab with Matt on that HDX. Especially how the speedo works and the gear selector display for our autos, how it gets it's signal.

I'm planning on using the new Lokar shifter they debuted at SEMA. Has a side gate for the manual shift option and we can get a 16" stick so with a black knob, it will resemble a stock FJ setup.
Hey guys, I am here to answer any questions.

On the shift indicator.. It is a "BIM" module they sell. The sender bolts up to the tranny linkage and sends the signal to the BIM module, which then just plugs into the main HDX or VHX computer. Most all BIM modules are about the footprint of a credit card and about 1" thick.

There are many data items that can be displayed with the HDX all at once vs scrolling as you would with the VHX. You can also choose your screen layout and customize to suit your needs. There are 3 screens you can setup and even choose the colors of the text, grid lines, etc!

Thanks
Matt
866-628-8746

TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)

www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]

Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts

Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!
Old 05-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB Matt View Post
Hey guys, I am here to answer any questions.

On the shift indicator.. It is a "BIM" module they sell. The sender bolts up to the tranny linkage and sends the signal to the BIM module, which then just plugs into the main HDX or VHX computer. Most all BIM modules are about the footprint of a credit card and about 1" thick.

There are many data items that can be displayed with the HDX all at once vs scrolling as you would with the VHX. You can also choose your screen layout and customize to suit your needs. There are 3 screens you can setup and even choose the colors of the text, grid lines, etc!

Thanks
Matt
Thanks for the info Matt! Do you know if the shift module will work with the 6L80E and the manual shift option they have?

Jeff-
Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Thanks for the info Matt! Do you know if the shift module will work with the 6L80E and the manual shift option they have?

Jeff-
They do not currently support 6 speeds. I will say I believe you can mount it up ok and use it for P-D, after that it wouldn't be accurate.

The tap to shift will have to be setup through the Canbus system, it is not a function of anything the dash does. I would for sure set it up though, it's a great feature, especially with the 6L!

Thanks
Matt
866-628-8746

TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)

www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]

Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts

Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!