Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 07-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm glad you brought this to the group but I dont think anything against how Wilwood is handling it. This came about less than a month ago and probably impacts a significant number of units. Its likely they're developing a plan to roll out the recall and repair information to the market.

It even says they'll roll out the recall on 7/5 so it's been less than a week.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 07-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
I'm glad you brought this to the group but I dont think anything against how Wilwood is handling it. This came about less than a month ago and probably impacts a significant number of units. Its likely they're developing a plan to roll out the recall and repair information to the market.

I've got nothing against Wilwood and will continue to use their products. I actually heard back from them this morning about the issue so at least they're responding when contacted.
What's odd to me is I'd think you contact vendors and suppliers if you knew the NHSTA was going to issue a recall...try and get in front of the issue instead of deal with the frustration and inrush of concerned consumers.

The update for those affected. Wilwood needs the 2 or 3 letter date code stamped on the underside of the MC body.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Wilwood sent me their recall program info & asked me to post it.

This is a voluntary recall on Wilwood's part. They have it mapped out in a 4-page document to make it easy to see if your master cylinder is in the recall.

It is a batch of 7/8" tandem M/Cs from Jan 2006 to Sept 2016

You can contact Wilwood at this Recall Number (805) 384-2270 & they will answer any questions.

Attached Images

Last edited by Ron Sutton; 07-11-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:21 PM

I drove home to get the number that Wilwood needs off of the MC, sent the email from my garage and drove the 20minutes back to work. They've already responded with how to move forward....great customer service!

Does it blow that I'm taking a car apart that should be going together? Yup, better than wrecking a car that just got on the road though. Manufacturing issues happen and I'm ok with that, the customer service that follows is what I'm more concerned with. So far they've made this real easy.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post

Hypothetical. Would you feel that way if your master cylinder failed yesterday and you crashed your car into school bus full of nuns and spilled a huge slurpee in your lap? Wouldn't you have rather known 3 weeks ago, or even 2 days ago?

My gripe is that I shouldn't find out about this on a forum. Wilwood sends the new price list every 3 months to all the dealers. They could have done the same with this information. Ron has been a dealer for 35 years and had to ask about it.....that's BS. /rant

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 07-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
My gripe is that I shouldn't find out about this on a forum. Wilwood sends the new price list every 3 months to all the dealers. They could have done the same with this information. Ron has been a dealer for 35 years and had to ask about it.....that's BS. /rant
I agree, next time I'll send you a PM first The first email I got was over a week ago, the one with the bad link. With computers and social media these days I would want to get it out before anyone has to come calling looking for a WTF? Maybe the dealers/vendors can show Wilwood a better way of doing business through well written, soft and cuddly emails....I'm sure they'll be learning from this.

I've already received a UPS shipping label and instructions on how to send it back for repairs. No complaints here, all good service.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
Wilwood sent me the recall program info.
They have it mapped out in a 4-page document to make it easy to see if your master cylinder is in the recall.
It is a batch of 7/8" tandem M/Cs from the first 9 months of 2016.

You can contact Wilwood direct at (805) 388-1188 & they will send you the info.
Thanks Ron for the details... there goes my hope of getting my leaking 1 1/8 bore fixed for free.

1968 Camaro SS
Old 07-11-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
I agree, next time I'll send you a PM first

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 07-11-2017, 11:24 PM

Sadly I almost wished mine was installed vs still in the box . I guess in a weird way I could say procrastination paid off... Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call at some point soon i guess.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
Hypothetical. Would you feel that way if your master cylinder failed yesterday and you crashed your car into school bus full of nuns and spilled a huge slurpee in your lap? Wouldn't you have rather known 3 weeks ago, or even 2 days ago?

I guess that's the benefit of my system being completely separate independent masters. Safety redundancy.

The hypothetical nuns in a bus and my hand held slurpee (no cupholders) will be safe.
2018 GMC Denali HD