...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password



Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Unread 12-02-2017, 03:45 PM
67_camaroRS's Avatar
67_camaroRS 67_camaroRS is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 58
Default

I tested the vacuum with a tester and got about 9 inches of Hg Vac on idle. Got about 17 inches on 2000 rpm. the length of the pedal was 12 inches and to the master cylinder rod it was 4 inches which makes the ratio to 3:1 i believe.The master cylinders reservoirs were identical in length but the rear one is smaller from the inside. I did BED bleed the master cylinder when it was new. What is the next step? Vacuum Pump? or?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage copy 2.jpg (839.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage copy.jpg (888.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (949.0 KB, 58 views)
__________________
1967 Camaro RS
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 12-02-2017, 04:04 PM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sun Valley, ID
Posts: 19,533
Default

Good info.....


You really don't have enough vacuum for good power brakes.... Your idle vacuum is about HALF what you really need... and even at your 2000 rpm level you're only making 17"....

Pedal ratio is "okay" for power brakes -- but not when you have such low vacuum.

Also -- check that your booster is okay. With the car running -- apply the brakes --- hold em -- shut the car down --- your pedal should hold for about 30 seconds is the booster isn't leaking.

So Check that....


Then --- you've got a couple options....


Increase your pedal ratio to 4:1 or even 5:1 ---- if you can keep all things aligned properly....

Add an electric vacuum pump .....


Or junk that set up and run a good manual master cylinder and get your pedal ratio to 6 or 7:1 <this would be my choice>

Or go to a "hydraboost" boost system....
__________________
'40 Ford Pickup project - @ Custom Hot Rods of Andice https://www.customsandhotrodsofandice.com/


** New project ** Ron Sutton GT TRACK WARRIOR '70 Mustang widebody - Tube chassis - 700hp LS7 - PPG 6 speed sequential trans - big aero - big tars....

'65 Mustang track car ("Old Yellar")

'07 Mustang track car ("BigWing") -- FOR SALE $35K

'08 Lotus 2 11 track car ------ SOLD - Thank you SW!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 12-02-2017, 07:05 PM
craig510's Avatar
craig510 craig510 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 233
Default

Post the piston sizes for you calipers and master cylinder. You will need the caliper piston area to determine ideal master cylinder size for a given pedal ratio.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 12-03-2017, 03:17 PM
67_camaroRS's Avatar
67_camaroRS 67_camaroRS is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig510 View Post
Post the piston sizes for you calipers and master cylinder. You will need the caliper piston area to determine ideal master cylinder size for a given pedal ratio.
These are the Rear Calibers I have on the car:
http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...temno=120-6806

Front Calibers:
http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...o=120-13429-BK

I bought them as kits Rear kit: Part #140-7578-D
Front Kit: Part #140-10510-D
__________________
1967 Camaro RS
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 12-03-2017, 03:23 PM
67_camaroRS's Avatar
67_camaroRS 67_camaroRS is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Good info.....


You really don't have enough vacuum for good power brakes.... Your idle vacuum is about HALF what you really need... and even at your 2000 rpm level you're only making 17"....

Pedal ratio is "okay" for power brakes -- but not when you have such low vacuum.

Also -- check that your booster is okay. With the car running -- apply the brakes --- hold em -- shut the car down --- your pedal should hold for about 30 seconds is the booster isn't leaking.

So Check that....


Then --- you've got a couple options....


Increase your pedal ratio to 4:1 or even 5:1 ---- if you can keep all things aligned properly....

Add an electric vacuum pump .....


Or junk that set up and run a good manual master cylinder and get your pedal ratio to 6 or 7:1 <this would be my choice>

Or go to a "hydraboost" boost system....


What option would give me the best results? Manuel Brakes or an Electic Vacuum Pump setup with power brakes.

For manual brakes, i will need a special MC?
__________________
1967 Camaro RS
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 12-03-2017, 04:00 PM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sun Valley, ID
Posts: 19,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_camaroRS View Post
What option would give me the best results? Manuel Brakes or an Electic Vacuum Pump setup with power brakes.

For manual brakes, i will need a special MC?


Two things for the manual brakes --- a Wilwood 1" master cylinder....



Here's a page with several choices --

http://shop.ronsuttonracetechnology....=752196&c=7250


AND changing your brake pedal ratio to 6:1



You may already have another hole in the brake pedal -- or you might have to buy a master brake pedal with the correct ratio.... I don't know without being there and looking at it - but either way -- these cars came with manual brakes so parts should be available for a conversion.
__________________
'40 Ford Pickup project - @ Custom Hot Rods of Andice https://www.customsandhotrodsofandice.com/


** New project ** Ron Sutton GT TRACK WARRIOR '70 Mustang widebody - Tube chassis - 700hp LS7 - PPG 6 speed sequential trans - big aero - big tars....

'65 Mustang track car ("Old Yellar")

'07 Mustang track car ("BigWing") -- FOR SALE $35K

'08 Lotus 2 11 track car ------ SOLD - Thank you SW!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 12-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Musclerodz's Avatar
Musclerodz Musclerodz is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 3,958
Default

With that booster and those brakes, you need 1 1/8 master. Install a set of reduced angle booster brakes and redrill the brake pedal just under the manual hole on the pedal. Another thing is you need to bed the pads. They are probably glazed at this point making the feel worse. Its not ideal vacuum, but the dual diaphragm booster should be able to keep up. If not you could be real slick and use a RS vac cannister as a reservoir.
__________________
Mike Redpath
Musclerodz & Customz
405-288-0189
pro-touring parts specialists
Musclerodz.com
facebook page
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 12-03-2017, 08:57 PM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sun Valley, ID
Posts: 19,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
With that booster and those brakes, you need 1 1/8 master. Install a set of reduced angle booster brakes and redrill the brake pedal just under the manual hole on the pedal. Another thing is you need to bed the pads. They are probably glazed at this point making the feel worse. Its not ideal vacuum, but the dual diaphragm booster should be able to keep up. If not you could be real slick and use a RS vac cannister as a reservoir.


That master he's running now didn't have a real healthy look to it as it is....


I ran a reservoir vac cannister on one of my cars --- it was only good for about 1 1/2 brake accusations..... which - in traffic these days - wasn't worth the effort to mount and plumb. I also ran an electric pump -- even with a thumping 427" small block -- I couldn't stand the constant noise it produced.

TOTALLY AGREE on the glazed pads and rotors.
__________________
'40 Ford Pickup project - @ Custom Hot Rods of Andice https://www.customsandhotrodsofandice.com/


** New project ** Ron Sutton GT TRACK WARRIOR '70 Mustang widebody - Tube chassis - 700hp LS7 - PPG 6 speed sequential trans - big aero - big tars....

'65 Mustang track car ("Old Yellar")

'07 Mustang track car ("BigWing") -- FOR SALE $35K

'08 Lotus 2 11 track car ------ SOLD - Thank you SW!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 12-05-2017, 11:50 PM
67_camaroRS's Avatar
67_camaroRS 67_camaroRS is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 58
Default

upon research I found out that the MC im running right now is from a 68 to 75 Corvette. the MC bore size is 1.125 in. ill check the brake pads and rotors this weekend. Im going to go with manual brakes. But my dad is trying to convince me to add a vacuum pump from 2013 camaro he believes that it shouldn't be noisy. Thanks
__________________
1967 Camaro RS

Last edited by 67_camaroRS : 12-05-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Lateral-g.net